Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Escaped Paddle Board

Whether the wind, high water or just a need for a solitary cruise, this pretty green paddle board escaped its owner and washed up on the shore at the Gruggle/Cob cottage at 98 Narrows Drive today. (The big cottage on the narrows between the middle and third ponds.)  There was a paddle with it and you'll find that by the camp porch.

I had an interesting email from Jack LaGue today - he called it "a bit of trivia" - I call it pretty amazing stuff. Jake said he counted no less than 94 pontoon boats on Joe's Pond, including six at Point Comfort. I think he and Sue took a slow boat ride around the pond to enjoy the nicer part of the day today and counted along the way. He mentioned that the Tolls had the most of any cottage on the pond - he figures living on the island would require more than one.  I was blown away by that number being on the pond.  At last count there were about 250 cottages on the pond, so that's about a third of them that have pontoon boats. It wasn't too many years ago nobody even heard of a pontoon boat - and when they did begin to appear, we called them "party barges" - and rightly so. 'Nuff said! I think one of the first I remember was a lumbering rig that Phil Porter built out of spare parts he'd salvaged. As I remember, it did double duty as their deck and dock. Jack will probably know more about that - and I think Jack's dad had one of the first ones on the pond, too. Anyway, thanks to Jack for that bit of info.

No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...