Monday, April 29, 2024

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's Pond. A few years ago he and his son, Gerry, outfitted a pontoon boat as a dockside bakery shop. Every Saturday, residents around the pond waited for Archie and Gerry to come by with breads, muffins, coffee cake, and special orders of delicious baked goods that the father/son pair delighted in baking. Archie had been in the food business in St. Johnsbury, operating his bakery in various locations, and Gerry followed in his dad's footsteps. Sadly, Gerry died in 1921.

Archie was also an avid railroad man. He was engineer for Canadian Pacific Railroad, and on the St. Johnsbury and Lamoille County line (St. J. & L. C), before the tracks were torn up in the early 1980s and the rail bed became the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail (LVRT).  Archie was an important resource for the Danville Historical Society's recent publication, West Danville, Vermont Then and Now, 1781-2021. It was always a pleasure to talk with him; he was cordial, generous, and interesting, and his knowledge about trains and railroading was both broad and deep. His many friends will miss him, and the community has lost a true treasure. My sincerest sympathy to his family.

_______________________

I'm told that Carolyn Hamilton had a brief setback but she is again out of intensive care and progressing. She has been delighted to hear from Joe's Pond friends. She will likely have a long recovery period, so notes of encouragement are still very appreciated.

This came today from Sue LaGue:

Hi Jane, Sue LaGue here. Just wanted to ask if you could put out there we are selling our condo in Sarasota FL. We've decided to join the family in Texas which includes my grandkids,son, daughter and son in law along with all of Jack's sisters and their families. It will be our winter retreat and summer at Joe's Pond. If anyone is interested, Google 7130 Fairway Bend Lane,#289, Sarasota, FL 34243

I remind those of you returning to Joe's Pond from your winter homes - Route 2 from West Danville to Plainfield is still in "construction mode" so there will be traffic delays during normal daytime travel hours. According to the latest report, work is concentrating in the town of Marshfield this week; but if you are planning travel to Barre or Montpelier, give yourself a little extra time and know that there will probably be delays.

Our weather plods along, slowly progressing to spring. There isn't an abundance of green showing anywhere here at Joe's Pond level, but surrounding towns are beginning to color up nicely. I do have daffodils almost ready to bloom, but the lawn is still quite brown and wintery looking. We had almost an inch of rain yesterday, including some thunder and at least one flash of lightning. The temperature was pretty warm and my frog chorus was tuned up last night. It's all part of the process. 

Our roads are ok, but along the west shore of the pond there are still muddy spots to smear the sides of cars and trucks. I think what is needed is a daily routine of honing! Someone recently mentioned we haven't seen the Cabot road crew use the "rake" that got towed behind a truck and helped fill in ruts and dry out the surface of the road. I wonder if that rig is still in their arsenal.

The spring cleaning bug bit me last week. I cleaned out kitchen cupboards and have actually discarded some dishes I really don't need. Over the years I've collected at least four sets of dinnerware - one of which I have never used! It was Fred's mother's and I made the mistake of admiring it one time when we visited, and suddenly I was the recipient of same. It was much prettier displayed in her china cabinet! Another set came from Grandmother Dimick, and I have used that daily for many years. It's called "Friendly Village," and I think it was a service for eight when I took it (when she came to live with us after Grandfather Bill died), and over the years I collected more pieces so I had a pretty complete service for 12, with serving dishes and a variety of platters. Grandmother Dimick treasured that set. I remember going with her to Randall Whitcomb's store at the corner of Eastern Avenue and Main Street in St. Johnsbury. She saved her household money until she had enough to purchase a platter or some other special piece - I suspect Grandpa Bill would not have approved the expense. I also remember that she would burst into tears if she dropped a plate or a glass and it shattered. More than one holiday meal at her house was marred by that sort of accident.

I really liked the Friendly Village pattern, but I had no need for twelve dinner plates, chowder cups, or matching teacups and saucers. So I put out the word to the family that the set was available, and found a taker. That opened up a lot of cupboard space! I imagine that vacant space will likely fill up with more items I will probably never use, but I'm going to try to be reasonable and not let that happen. I plan to get rid of more rather than pack unnecessary items in. Good intentions - we'll see how that goes. 

I was surprised that on Bob and Tangeni went skiing at Jay. (Bob is my middle son and Tangeni is my granddaughter, his niece, and oldest son Bill & Monika's daughter). It was the final day Jay was open, I believe. That is spring skiing at it's very best - love the hula skirt, Tangeni! and I know Uncle Bob loves skiing in shorts! Bob says Tangeni is a great ski buddy, and I can believe it. She's a good sport and really loves skiing. She and her sister, JoAnn, took Uncle Bob ziplining for his birthday last July.


And now I need to put together some lunch!




 


No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...