Thursday, February 09, 2023

More on Wake Boats

Here is more on the Wake Boat problems many Vermont lakes are struggling over. From Vermont Digger - click HERE to read the article.

I should note here that I have not been asked to publish any article or conversation in favor of wake boats. If there is a logical argument in favor of them, I will include that here if asked. The meeting regarding proposed regulation is in Greensboro and available remotely, a week from today, on February 15th. To learn more, go to Responsible Wakes for Vermont Lakes.

**************************

This morning there isn't much to write about, so I'll tell you a little story that some of you in my older generation may appreciate.

When I replaced my old swivel rocking chair with an electrically-controlled recliner a while back, I had no idea that it would become both my treasured "comfort spot" that I cannot wait to get home to whenever I am away, and also a monster that can entrap me at will. The comfort part I'm sure you will understand: it's relaxing, fits my body perfectly and is where I can enjoy the best naps ever. 

The dark side of the thing is that several times now, when I've been in a hurry to get out of my chair to answer the door or tend to some emergency, it can rear up and quit. Literally. I push the button and my feet fly upwards and next thing I know I'm tilted as far back as possible, like a turtle on its back, wondering what the heck happened? 

There are two buttons on the side of the recliner. One raises the footrest and tilts me back to a near flat position, and the other reverses and puts me back in an upright sitting position. In a perfect world. Soon after I got the chair, I thought I heard something or someone in the yard, and of course I wanted to rush to the window to check it out. I reached for the buttons and obviously pushed the wrong one and was zapped backwards, feet up. I fumbled with the two buttons, pushing first one and then the other, and neither worked. I was trapped. At my age, getting out of a chair from an upright position is hard enough sometimes; but from a prone position? That would take some strength and careful planning to get up and past the arms of the chair to escape. I was disgusted that the only months-old chair had apparently malfunctioned and I was in this awkward position. 

Now, this chair swivels about 190 degrees, but it takes a manual push to do that. I was able to swing it away from the side table where I keep my reading material, the telephone, a coaster for my coffee cup or wine glass (no, I hadn't had any wine yet, it was too early in the day for that!) so I'd have room to roll out of the chair. It took a little time to accomplish that and it wasn't graceful, but I managed. By then whatever I'd heard in the yard had gone, so I went back to the chair to see if I could find out what was wrong with it. I checked the plug and the electricity was on and everything looked perfect. Then I tried the button to raise the chair to a normal position. It worked flawlessly. I pushed the other button and it worked, too. 

I never did find out what happened, but I've had a similar experience a couple of times since. However, each of those times I was able to eventually get the thing folded back up again. My conclusion is that while the chair may have a mind of its own and really is a little quirky sometimes, the problem is likely "operator error". You see, the chair is fabric, and when I'm wearing short sleeves, the rough texture of the material irritates my arms. So I made armrest covers out of heavy, clear plastic. These covers come down over where the control buttons are on the outside of the chair, but I cut a neat square hole in the plastic so they aren't covered, or shouldn't be. However, I suspect that when I'm in a rush to get out of the chair, that plastic may be interfering with my reaching the buttons properly. 

That chair is still my favorite relaxation spot and so what if I do get trapped in it? I could find myself in worse predicaments.

Let this be a lesson to you - beware of too comfortable chairs that may turn on you.


No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...