Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Winter Wonders and Warnings

This has been an unusual "winter" so far. We are out of the deep freeze mode and into springlike conditions at the moment. That isn't to say where won't be more real cold ahead - March is almost always a challenge. But so far, it's been a real roller coaster of a winter here in Vermont. I haven't seen the numbers, but I expect this will turn out to be one of the warmest winters we've had for a while. 

All this warm weather has brought on some serious consequences. For one thing, the ice on many lakes and ponds isn't as thick as it would normally be this time of the year. On Lake Champlain, three men on two different occasions, died after going through the ice while fishing, just in the past week. Warnings are out to stay off the ice - no ice is safe ice, especially this year.

It seems people who are out walking in the woods, either on their private property or on the trails, are having challenges, too. The nice weather brings out hikers and sometimes cross-country skiers on the packed trails.There have been complaints from walkers about snowmobile traffic going too fast when passing them. Of course, the snowmobile community was a big part of the rail trail becoming a year-around attraction. It is important to remember that, but it is also important for snowmobilers to slow down in areas where there are walkers. If everyone uses good sense and good manners, everyone will benefit. It's worth mentioning that there have been several snowmobile accidents - not on our rail trail as far as I know, but on other snowmobile trails, mostly because of excessive speed, icy conditions, and/or inexperienced operators.

Another possible problem this year is that bears are roaming about. It could be that the warmer weather has their internal clocks screwed up, but I've actually heard that it isn't unusual for bears to come out of hibernation during warm spells in the winter. Apparently they don't go into a deep hibernation like some other animals do. Someone in the Hardwick area reported seeing fresh bear tracks this past week - probably a sow and a couple of cubs. You can bet they will be hungry and are looking for food, so if you are out in the woods this time of year, be aware. Not a good idea to surprise a sow with cubs, no matter what time of year it is!

I was in St. J. today and had lunch with sons, Bill, Bob and Jamie. It was Jamie's birthday and celebrated. It was great fun. I can always depend on any one of them to lift my spirits, and all three of them together is a real hoot. We went to Anthony's - they know us pretty well and don't mind all the laughter. I had a really good turkey sandwich - the boys had burgers of one sort or another with side of onion rings and such - all good. Not fancy, but service is always good and it's really handy for everyone to meet there. Of course, Jamie was the only one who had to go back to work - Bob and I are fully retired and Bill only works mornings. I won't tell you how old Jamie is because just thinking about it makes me feel really ancient --  he's the youngest! My goodness, the years have flown by! I'm so fortunate to have all three of my sons living close by so we can get together like that from time to time. I count my blessings every day!


No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...