Thursday, May 12, 2022

Summer is Here!

 Wow! Another wonderful spring-bordering-on-summer day! I kept thinking as I went about doing a few things outside today - this could be the only summer we get! Of course, I don't really think that is true, but it did cross my mind. With weather patterns changing as they are, I expect we will have a hot, dry summer; but the weather could change on us and be cool, wet and miserable. Only time will tell, so let's enjoy this nice stretch for at least one more day!

I don't know about you, but that young bear Cheryl Castner told us about recently has been on my mind from time to time. Cheryl sent an update on the bear - and the outcome was good. That is one lucky bear! So good to know sometimes these dreadful collisions of wildlife with man turn out ok. Thanks, Cheryl, for sending the update.

There was an interesting thought posted on Front Porch Forum the other day. There have been numerous posts there about bear sightings, and this particular post suggested that it might not be such a great idea to post sightings as it seems there are training sessions for dogs used in hunting, (called "hounding"). The postings of FPF, and possibly blogs like this, can alert hunters to where bears may be. After reading about hounding, I'd say that is not something I'd want to be responsible for. I know bears can be pests, but if we are careful about our trash and garbage, they are less likely to bother us. Hunting with dogs has always seemed cruel to me - I was not aware there was much of that going on anymore, but apparently there are hunters who use dogs. I remember men going coon hunting in the fall with dogs when I was a youngster, and I know dogs are used for rabbits, but I never thought about it much. The man who wrote about this mentioned a mother bear would try to lead the dogs away from her cubs and in so doing, they could be left alone for very long periods of time, and would be vulnerable. Obviously, other animals are raising young, as well, and could be impacted. It's a valid concern. I know it's exciting for the hunter, hearing the baying of the dogs as they chase their prey, but it does seem like an unfair advantage - and these days, are hunters going for food for their family, or just hunting for the sport of it? I can sort of see both sides of this, having grown up with hunters in my family and having done a fair share of it myself. But now it doesn't seem quite that necessary or sporting. Just saying!

I just finished watching the graduation ceremony at Texas State University where my granddaughter, Jo-Ann graduated today. I am so proud of her. I have a hard time reconciling the beautiful, self-assured adult she has become to the awed ten-year-old I met at the airport all those years ago when she first came to this country from Namibia. The road hasn't always been easy for her, but she has always been a real trooper and very determined to achieve, no matter what the obstacles. She is a beautiful, loving, caring adult now, ready to face life head on. Mom, Dad, and sister Tangeni, will be returning from Texas within a few days. Jo-Ann has a busy summer ahead of her in Texas. I'm hoping she will have time to get home for at least a few days this summer. 

I took this photo from the live streaming of the graduation. Almost as good as being there! - or maybe better. I would never have gotten this shot, immediately after she received her diploma, if I'd been there. It was a huge crowd - and of course, I worry about Covid . . .  but the joy of the day prevails.






No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...