Monday, May 09, 2022

Beautiful Spring Day

 This is starting off to be another gorgeous day, even warmer than yesterday! I have one more short announcement I couldn't write about yesterday because I wasn't sure of the name of the event, but now I know it is "Destination Danville" and the Danville Chamber of Commerce is doing it as a potential annual event to promote the rail/trail, and local businesses. This is not only for hikers and bikers on the rail/trail, but for anyone who would like to stop by the Danville Green for food, crafts, and to meet old friends and meet new people. It sounds like it will be sort of a "mini Danville Fair" - except the rides will be your bikes and the food and crafts will all be locally sourced. And, it's in early spring, to start off the season with fun! Liz (Dot Larrabee's daughter) will have our West Danville history books available at the train station, and I'll be set up on the Green. We hope you'll stop at either (or both) to say hello and perhaps get a copy of the book, if you don't already have one. I look forward to seeing you!

I learned today that an old friend and former Joe's Ponder, Mary Allen, 94,  died recently at the Canterbury Inn assisted living facility in St. Johnsbury. Mary and her daughter, Jean Brice, owned two cottages on Old Homestead Road, and Mary and her late husband, Jack, spent many summer weekends at camp in the 1970s and 80s. I've known Mary for almost 70 years. Due to Covid, I wasn't able to visit her often at Canterbury, but whenever I saw her, she was always upbeat and smiling - still the beautiful little Italian girl who was a good and caring friend for so many years. I will miss her.

Another friend passed away on May 5th - Mert Leonard, who was town manager at Danville for several years. I knew Mert and his wife, Nancy, from his days working at Fairbanks, Morse Company in the 1960s. Later, I enjoyed my contacts with him when he was at Danville. It is always sad when old friends pass. Mert was only 78.

My thoughts are with both families as they face the loss of their dear ones. Deaths in the spring are somehow especially difficult. It has always seemed to me to be some sort of huge error that people struggle through the bleak days of winter only to die as nature begins to emerge with life. But then, losing a loved one is difficult in any season.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...