Monday, February 25, 2019

     This has been a wild, snowy day. We got several inches more snow that we don't need, and the wind has howled all day long. In our back yard, because we're sheltered somewhat from the direct west and northwest wind, the snow tends to swirl like young tornadoes. On the hillside above us I can see the big spruce trees swaying with the gusts of wind as it sweeps over Cabot Plain. It is getting colder now that evening is approaching. We were at 34 degrees this morning, but now I'm seeing a reading of 16.4F. With the wind, it will be well below zero tonight. This is going to last into tomorrow, then we'll have just cold - and more wind, but no snow. 
     I have been drawn to watching the snow blowing around today. It is a lot like March. The top picture was taken a few minutes ago from my office window. I'm about to close the shade to close out the "view." Not very pleasant today. The next picture is the same view I posted yesterday of the lower lawn when the sun was so pretty on the ice-covered trees. Not pretty today. Then I took one more as I stood in our living room window - that's the end of our driveway and at times I couldn't even make it out the snow was swirling around so much. Everything out there is in grayscale - no color.
     That wind is making driving very difficult with whiteouts on the highways, so people have to be very careful. I have had the scanner going, but fortunately there have been no serious accidents reported in the few minutes I've been listening, but road crews are reporting visibility often at zero. This slows down response time in emergencies, but also should slow traffic - if drivers are wise.

     I have sad news tonight. I took a few minutes after lunch to catch up reading the newspapers and found that Dot Desrochers passed away on the 19th. Dot is Jim Desrochers' (Old Homestead
Rd.) mom. I have known Dot for many years - they lived in our neighborhood in St. Johnsbury, so her children and mine grew up and went to school together. Dot was school nurse when I worked at the St. Johnsbury School District's administration office. She was a very kind, generous, loving person and will be truly missed. To send condolences to Jim, Karen and their family, send to: 811 Old Oyster Trail, Sugar Land TX 77478. Our thoughts are with them.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...