Sunday, February 03, 2019

Our weather has been more like February should be today - no sunshine, but in the 20s and snowing lightly off and on. Now, at a little after eight o'clock, the thermometer is reading 29F and there a light rain falling. No doubt freezing on the cold surfaces, but at least salt will work well in temperatures like this. Kind of nasty out there, but probably lots of folks are hanging out watching the football game so won't be on the road until maybe later.
     This photo came to me yesterday - it's Dotty and Bob Noyes
(West Shore Road) having fun in Florida. Doesn't that look like a great way to get around? I know Segways can be dangerous so I'm glad to see they are wearing helmets. Way to go, Dotty and Bob! It looks so nice there - I'm not sure exactly where they were, but it may have been the Venice area because I think they were going to see Ray and Cyndi Rouleau.
     I was remembering when seniors first "discovered" golf carts were a great way to get around in Florida retirement communities, there was a lot of concern for their safety. There isn't much protection around them. However, they are apparently still being used, both on reduced speed streets and on some highways, mixing with regular vehicles and in a number of states. they are convenient, often electric so kind to the environment, and don't make a lot of noise. All good. Besides all that, they are less expensive initially than a traditional car and cost less to run. Some even come well equipped with windshields and wipers, radio, carpeting and cargo space. 
     This led me to wonder about Segways. When I went on line and checked, I found out that Segways can be used on most sidewalks in Florida; however, Bicycles, skateboards, in-line and roller skates have to stay in the street and off of sidewalks. So many rules and different in every city.
    It reminds me of a funny little story about my former mother-in-law, Dorothy Dimick. Years ago, one of the first apartments we lived in had a bathroom between two bedrooms and the kitchen, so there were three doorways. Dot came to visit and went to use the facilities and when she came out she said, "My, by the time you get all those doors closed you kind of lose interest in what you went in there for, don't you."
     I think I'd probably feel the same way about all the rules and regulations about the golf carts and maybe the Segways, too.

     

No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...