Well - Happy Birthday to Me! I've made it through another year and almost to the anniversary of tearing the ligament in my knee a year ago. Things change in a year's time - I now take a cane with me whenever I leave the house. I have canes (more favorably known as "walking sticks") located in strategic spots. I keep my folding cane in the car and use that if I'm heading into town; I have a wonderful all-wood walking stick that Jenness Ide brought to me several years ago and I used to use only in the winter when I went down to the mailbox, but now I grab that whenever I head out the garage door for almost any reason - it's reassuring to have it with me. This summer I found I needed to have something handy for heading out on the back lawn from the porch. I frequently wanted to walk around the pond just to check on things, and when I do that I usually end up down on the lower lawn, too and it's a hike back up to the house - hills in every direction, so I keep a cane handy for that, too. It's a sturdy old-fashioned one with a big crook that hooks over my arm nicely when I don't need it. So in the coming year, who knows - I hope I can just remain upright!
Yesterday the West Shore Road Birthday Bunch took me out for lunch. This was the last time all five of us will be celebrating a birthday together as both Cyndi and Dotty are moving away soon. We will miss them very much. We've celebrated countless birthdays together, and last year when my leg was in a cast, they all came to my house and brought lunch. They are cherished friends and I'm going to miss both Cyndi and Dotty very much. Yesterday I picked the Grill by the Mill in Bradford to celebrate. Bob and I had been there a while back and enjoyed it. We had a nice lunch, a table by the window overlooking the stream, and the weather cooperated beautifully. And the ladies brought a cake from Bentley's for me! Such a nice surprise. It was dark chocolate with raspberry filling - my absolute favorite! So good!! There was a brief shower as we were finishing up, so we lingered a bit, but then the sun came out and the trip home was very nice with lots of color to see - but not as far south as Bradford. We didn't begin to get nice color until Wells River area. From Groton home (we went the back way instead of up Route 5 or on the Interstate) through Peacham and home, it was beautiful. The only thing missing yesterday was a photo - which we usually do, but fortunately, nobody thought to do it! I'm always grateful not to have my picture taken.
I just remembered the reaction of an elderly woman in Bucharest years ago when I tried to take her picture. She was sweeping the street in the middle of the city, and without giving it a thought I got out my camera to take her picture. She took after me with her broom! I couldn't understand what she was yelling at me, but I imagine it wasn't very complimentary. Of course I retreated - and never did get the picture. My friend and I were exploring that day on our own, but later our tour guide said some older people were very superstitious about having their picture taken. Me, too, only not from superstition - just because I never look like I feel at the time, and I'm always surprised and disappointed at how awful I look.
Recently I had to get my driver's license renewed. I did it at the satellite office at the mall in St. Johnsbury. There was a very pleasant young woman working there and when she did the photo, she discarded the first shot and took another. I didn't pay much attention - photos on your license are never good, are they? However, this time was different. This one isn't half bad and I won't cringe every time I have to show it. Of course, at my age, who gives a darn anyway, and how often will anyone ever see it?! I don't remember the last time I had to get out my license for anything. Certainly nobody questions that I'm old enough to buy alcoholic beverages - although I remember the years not too long ago when clerks had to check and record the number for everyone, no matter how obviously old and gray. It was very irritating and inconvenient. Now, apparently, the law has changed.
So - the foliage is being ripped off our trees with more wind today. I expect we'll have rain later on, thanks to the current hurricane action down south - and we still need rain badly. That will probably end our foliage season. Diane was saying yesterday that it seemed as if the season came upon us very quickly and really hasn't lasted very long. It has been beautiful, though, and I hate to see the trees becoming bare. I still have nice color around my house, but on the hillsides it's beginning to look more gray and gloomy every day as the wind never ceases. Late October and all of November is such a dull, naked period. No leaves and usually no snow. The long - long-range forecast is for an unusually heavy snow season in our area this year. We'll see how that turns out!
Stay safe and dry, wherever you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment