Monday, October 05, 2026

Milfoil Update

 FROM BARRY CAHOON:


To all who have selflessly and tirelessly volunteered their time on multiple occasions throughout this past summer and early fall to help contain the Eurasian Watermilfoil (EWM) infestation in Joe’s Pond:

Every Joe’s Pond Association member and all others who enjoy the countless gifts of this precious lake owe a profound debt of gratitude to all of you.  Thank you so much. Your dedication and persistence is of immeasurable and irreplaceable value.

This past Sunday, October 4th marks the final day of hand pulling and in-water EWM control operations in 2026. After finding fewer than 10 EWM plants in 2 hours by 5 divers and 1 paddle boarder it was decided that the team had reached a point of diminishing returns past which it makes little sense to continue. Water temperatures falling into the 50s with progressively colder nighttime air temperatures forecast this coming week made this an even easier decision.

Thanks again to all of you. We are hopeful, even confident, that all your efforts this year will make next year’s task much simpler, less onerous and significantly less time consuming.  Because of you, complete eradication of EWM from the waters of Joe’s Pond remains within reach and achievable.

See you in the spring.

Barry Cahoon, JPA EWM Management Coordinator
 
                                                                    **************** 
 This is really good news, and we thank Barry and the whole crew who have so diligently (and apparently  successfully!) grappled with controlling this awful weed. It would be wonderful if we are, indeed, able to finally conquer the infestation. Our weather is definitely cooling every day and the water temperature is probably rapidly going down, too, so it's time to hang up the flippers and be happy things are looking so much better in our lovely lake. A successful summer and a job well done!
 
Our beautiful leaves are taking to the air today! The wind has been relentless and there are clouds of leaves being ripped from treetops. Some of the lower branches are not as bare, but around my house, the tops of my Washington hawthorn and some of my maples are naked. We have had a few rain drops this afternoon, and that's good. We do need the rain, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if tonight we get some snowflakes mixed in. 
 
I'm sure I've mentioned before that not many years ago we always expected snow during the first week of October - at least on Cabot Plain. Of course, it didn't stay long, but was enough to show white on the ground and keep the air frosty for bird hunting and woods walking.
 
Last week middle son Bob and I did a "First Thursday" lunch date to Groton. We took every back road Bob could find on the way there - even got lost for a few miles between Mosquitoville and Boltonville. We were on the old Bayley-Hazen Road for a short time, and came out eventually on Rte. 302. We then had to travel a few miles west to our destination, but every mile was a delight. The foliage was better than I've seen it for at least a couple of years, and the weather just perfect for a road trim in the back woods of Vermont. We were happily welcomed at one of our favorite lunch spots, The Upper Valley Grill, and I believe we got extra large portions of carrot cake because we're "regulars" there now. We came home over the Groton State Forest Road and the back road past Peacham Pond to South Cabot. Pretty drive. The photo above is just a small sample of the really beautiful foliage this year - looking south from somewhere in Peacham or Ryegate - who knows exactly where we were!!
 
This morning was sunny and I enthusiastically dashed onto my porch thinking, "coffee in the morning sun." But even though my southeast facing porch is somewhat sheltered, the swirling gusts of frigid wind turned me around immediately and I had my coffee in my recliner, warm and watching the leaves flying off the trees outside my big windows. For just an instant I wondered, when did I become such a wimp? Windy, 45-degree weather never used to bother me. I just dressed for it! But that option didn't appeal to me this morning and I was very happy to sip my coffee inside my warm house. I'll bundle up and head down to the mailbox later, once the mail has come. Or I should say, IF the mail comes. Mail delivery these days is spotty here.
     
I just finished an article for the November issue of our local monthly publication, Cabot Chronicle. The editor asked for something pertaining to veterans, so I began researching. Turns out, our country has had very few stretches of peaceful years. We have gone from one conflict to another, and another, and our small town has contributed more than the normal number of "boots on the ground" in most of them. Being independent Vermonters, they sort of "sat out" a few skirmishes, like the War of 1812, the Indian Wars out west, and the Mexican altercation over the border with Texas. A few Vermonters may have participated, but I didn't find evidence that many from Cabot left their farms and families to join those  battles. They turned out remarkably for the big ones, though! The Civil War and WWII, even Korea and Vietnam saw lots of Cabot men (and women) going into the military. Of course, there was compulsory military service, so that no doubt accounted for many signups.
 
I knew some WWI veterans. My uncle Ray Bolton served with a cavalry unit after graduating from Michigan State Veterinary School, and our neighbor, Ashley Barnett served. Uncle Ray was unscathed, as far as I know - I remember him as jovial and kind, and a role model for his younger brothers, including my father, who always looked up to him. Ashley was deeply affected, and I recall my father telling stories about Ashley reacting badly to loud noises after his return. He always seemed fine to me, but Dad often referred to Ashley as "all out of fix." I think the common diagnosis was he suffered from "shell-shock". Ashley was only 53 when he died in 1948. He had a large family -  nine children -  and several were in school with me on the Plain. His wife, Sarah, died in 1946, and I remember how difficult it was for Ashley and the children after she passed. The older girls cared for the younger ones as best they could, but life was hard for them. My mother sent meals to them most weekends and in the winter I often took the food down on my sled. Their farm was at the intersection of Deeper Ruts Road and West Shore Road. After Ashley died, they all moved away and I lost track of them, but some of them that my mother had taught in school visited my parents from time to time for many years.
 
Right now I'm seeing 45F and it's definitely heading downward. The mail just came - at almost 6 o'clock! I'll scoot down and get it between rain (or snow) drops!
 
It's a "hot soup and warm fireside" night! 
 
P.S. - The wind is still blowing hard but it was kind of invigorating! I wore my winter jacket and it was reallly good to be outside. Lots of fresh air! And it's always nice to have mail delivered.
View from East Hill in Peacham. 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

...

No comments:

Milfoil Update

 FROM BARRY CAHOON: To all who have selflessly and tirelessly volunteered their time on multiple occasions throughout this past summer and e...