Friday, April 13, 2018

This is a gloomy morning. We had rain off and on yesterday afternoon and during the night, and the snow pack has gone down considerably. That said, we can expect rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow over the weekend, according to the weather folks. That is a definite Bah-Humbug!
     I measured almost half an inch of precipitation this morning. It's about 40 degrees, but damp and clammy cold. There's a little wind that adds to the misery, but overall, it's not a total loss. Yesterday I saw my first robin on one of the few bare spots on the lawn by our house, and when I went to get the mail I heard geese - apparently down on the pond. There is probably open water at the north end where the channel dumps into the pond. Let's hope they are just stopping for a rest on their way to some other place to nest - not here!
     This morning I noticed some movement in the leaves under our Washington hawthorn tree and at first thought it was a female robin, but then realized it was much too large. I thought it might be a mourning dove because it walked very slowly, but when it turned so I got a broadside view, I realized it was a partridge. It is really hard to distinguish the bird from the ground - it's very well camouflaged. Can you see her? She is a little grayish against the brown grass and leaves. 
    I know there has been one nesting in the woods between our driveway and Jamie and Marie's in the past - I've been startled a few times when she took off as I was walking up the driveway. After a while, I think she got used to Fred and me going up and down, as she seemed to stay in the area, but she only occasionally took off when we went by. I hadn't seen any partridges in our apple trees last fall, so I was happy to see this one visiting, and perhaps she will hang out and raise some young.
     

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...