Sunday, April 15, 2018

We seem destined to remain in winter mode indefinitely here at Joe's Pond. I'm trying to accept the nearly two inches of new snow we got yesterday and last night - heavy, wet, crystallized and probably beautiful to some - as just a blip in the journey to real spring weather and a boon to the water table. That said, when it turns warmer a few days from now, there will be flooding and mud all over again. We are still going through unreasonable cycles to get to bare ground, green grass and open water in the pond. I am sure we will get there, but the how and the when are in question.
     I met with the book committee at the Danville Historical Society on Saturday afternoon. When I came out to my car at a little after 4:30, there was a thick coating of ice on everything. Dot Larrabee was parked beside me and for a few minutes, I couldn't locate my scraper, so Dot started hers, then came and helped me until I dug my scraper out of the trunk of the car. We hadn't had to use it all winter - thanks to having a garage and the fact we never happened to be out on a snowy or icy day, I guess! 
     Speaking of snow and prolonged winter weather - we talked with friends in Anchorage, Alaska tonight and although they have a foot of snow on the ground in some places near their house, they also have all sorts of spring flowers blooming (!) and rhubarb up!
Their days are long and sunny this time of the year, so that helps. Perhaps that sunny weather will eventually reach here - we hope so. 
     The Rouleaus have returned, and Bob and Dotty Noyes have frequented their home here several times during the winter - Bob was here this weekend. It's nice to see people back at the pond. We are getting inquiries about places that might be for rent - one asked if we knew of a cottage they might rent for the summer and in return they would take care of the lawn, flowers, etc., or even do minor repairs. They have rented here before, usually places that are on the market, so that's why they are looking for a place again this year - where they rented last year was sold. Let me know if you have a place or know of one that might be available on that basis. (janebrowncabot@gmail.com)

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...