Saturday, October 28, 2017

     We have very nice sunshine today, but quite a bit of wind, so the temperature feels a little chilly.  It's going to get warmer during the day, but we're due some nasty weather tomorrow into Monday.
     We have warned people about bears on the rail trail, especially during the spring when they are lean and hungry, but this week a very different danger came to light.  Here's what Pam Hebert wrote:
 
Tuesday Joe and I were walking on the rail trail. We heard a loud crack ..... he said run. Tree fell but got caught in other limbs.. next day across the trail. Guess not our time.
   
     I'm glad Pam and Joe got out of the way in time and weren't hurt.  That is really frightening.
 
     Something like that can certainly be a threat whenever you are walking where there are trees and there's some wind.  I often think about that when Fred and I are walking up Jamie and Marie's driveway.  There are massive trees along there, and it's really scary when the wind's howling.  We are planning to have many of them removed soon to reduce the risk of one coming down on anyone or on the power lines.
     Here's something I worry about.  I see people walking, running or biking on our road all the time, and many have earbuds on.  Sometimes I've had people go by and not even notice me coming down my driveway, and when I've said "Hi" to them, I've had no response - I'm sure because they didn't hear me and weren't even aware I was there.  That's dangerous.  If you can't hear and you aren't paying attention to your surroundings, goodness knows what could happen.  For sure you wouldn't hear a warning crack of a tree falling, or the roar an out-of-control car approaching. 
     If you are outside, enjoy the fresh air AND the sounds around you.  There are birds chirping, geese honking, squirrels chattering and it's all part of nature that shouldn't be missed.  And you'll be safer if you can hear them - and any danger lurking!  

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...