Thursday, September 10, 2026

Area Happenings

 'Tis the time - for fall dinners!!

 Yesterday I mentioned the Harvest Supper at Cabot this coming Saturday - 5 to 6:30, at the church. It will be good - Red Flannel Hash, Ham, Baked Beans, Salad and Dessert. $15.

There is also a meeting of the Cabot Historical Society on Saturday - our Annual Meeting - that evening, at 6 p.m. I'm going to take a dinner home with me. 

Yesterday I heard from Patty Conly at the Danville Historical Society, and their famous Bean Hole Supper is coming up soon on September 20. (See poster!) This is always a great meal and you'll meet some interesting neighbors  and make new friends. There are  great cooks who prepare their favorite bean recipes put the beanpots in a hole in the ground with hot coals, cover 'em up and let 'em bake for hours. This is the way our ancestors cooked, and the Danville folks (mostly men, I think) who do this every year have it down to a science. There are lots of side dishes and wonderful desserts (mostly made by ladies, I think), so I promise you won't come away hungry. I'm always amazed at the different flavor of each pot of beans - some done with molasses, some with maple syrup, and most of those guys would rather wrestle a bear than tell their secret recipes. 

We've had some unusual weather. Yesterday it was gloomy and chilly, and then it rained most of the night. That was a good thing as we really need the rain. I measured exactly 1 inch of precipitation this morning. Today has been sunny and warm - then sunny, warm, and windy - and now it's gray and gloomy and getting chilly. A tree was blown down above my place on Jamie and Marie's - part of it split off and is caught on another tree, leaning towards our neighbor's house and the electric lines Those are called "widow-makers" by loggers. The power company has been alerted - it's too dangerous for Jamie or our neighbor to attempt getting it down. It was a tall poplar, and they are often troublesome.

It was very windy when I was in Cabot Village around noon today - it seemed to be a southwest wind and had flags and signs flapping wildly up and down Main Street. It also took most of the leaves off my old apple trees - I've decided it's time to cut the two old ornamentals down. They are no longer producing blossoms or even many leaves, so they are beyond saving. My parents planted them when they built the house here over 60 years ago, so they've had a good run.

At the moment, the air is very still - almost too quiet out there. I always worry a little when everything outside goes quiet. Even the birds aren't singing - so something is probably brewing, and clouds have covered the sun. I'm going to close up the house and get ready for whatever is coming at us - could be just a cool, quiet evening ahead, or could be a storm. One thing I know for sure - there isn't much we can do about the weather. Be happy and safe, wherever you are! 


 

No comments:

Area Happenings

 'Tis the time - for fall dinners!!  Yesterday I mentioned the Harvest Supper at Cabot this coming Saturday - 5 to 6:30, at the church. ...