Wednesday, June 24, 2015

This came from Pope Library today:

Friday at 10am in the Community Building. The Southern VT Natural Science History Museum brings its Super Animals! program to Danville.  Live animals, active storytelling, touchable artifacts and interactive demonstrations to explore the super-human world of animals found right in our own backyards!  Free and for all ages.

Sounds like a really interesting program.  Take your kids, the grands or just stop by yourself.  I bet it will be a fun event.

Speaking of fun, I had a very nice time today.  Sue LaGue invited me to meet with members of her Danville Woman's Club group to talk about Joe's Pond.  I put together some of the old photos in a short DVD and joined the ladies this afternoon at Sue's.  First of all, Sue and Jack have done a beautiful job renovating their cottage into a very lovely home, and it was perfect for the small gathering.  In addition, Sue had thoughtfully included long-time Joe's Ponder, Lynn Hamilton who grew up with the kids around the pond "back in the day" and now lives in Hawaii.  It was great to see Lynn and chat a bit while the ladies were finishing their business meeting.

Everyone was very gracious in seeming interested in the pictures and asked great questions.  My 10-minute DVD took well over an hour to present with pauses, backups and discussions as each image appeared on the TV screen, but I thoroughly enjoyed sharing some of what I've learned over the years and more recently while working with the West Danville History Committee.  Whenever I do a program like this I gain new information and also find weak spots that need to be explored more fully. 

It was my understanding Sue was going to take the group on a boat trip around the pond to see up close and for real the places we'd talked about.  I couldn't go with them as I had to be in Cabot later this afternoon, and then Fred and I went out to dinner to celebrate our anniversary.  All things considered, it's been a busy but very pleasant day.  

Tomorrow it will be back to normal - I have some Cabot based research to do and a couple other projects I'd like to finish before the Fourth of July when I'll be at the Cabot Historical Society building in the afternoon.  I'll be at the Joe's Pond Association meeting in the morning, of course.  Also, don't forget that fireworks are scheduled for July 3rd, weather permitting, and if they are rained out, the display will be on the 5th.  Also, Cabot is having their usual big parade on the Fourth, plus a big rummage sale (they are looking for donations, if you have something you'd like to contribute - get in touch with Jill Ackermann) and lots of great food and yard sales along Main Street - plus the Historical Society Museum will be open all day.

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...