Sunday, June 16, 2013

I know it's hard to believe, but I've been working off and on all weekend to get the slideshow of Jo-Ann's graduation pictures ready.  I think it's operating fairly well now.  I used only a few of the photos as most of them were family oriented.  

Today turned into another wet one - almost as forecast, although I believe rain was predicted to arrive earlier than it actually did.  It came down fairly heavily for a little while this afternoon.  I think it's stopped now and I'm going out to get some rhubarb to make sauce for supper.  I've had radishes from the garden and there is a pretty good supply of baby spinach.  The peas are up and doing pretty well, so there's hope. 

I trimmed the grape vines the other day.  I needed to wait until I could see leaves and buds so I wouldn't cut living branches.  I got rid of a lot of dead wood, so I hope it does well this year.  I think it was last year we had no grapes at all - they started out fine and then just dried up.  I had some hops growing on the north side of the arbor, but it seems they have mostly run away into the woods.  I found one small vine, but it didn't appear to be enthusiastic about climbing where I was directing it.  I'm not sure why I planted the hops anyway, but I guess I was intrigued by wine on one side and beer on the other at the arbor.  Silly thoughts to brighten a gloomy day.  I usually put some hanging plants in the arbor, but the weather has been so unusual I've held off.  There's still not enough shade until the grape leaves mature, and there's altogether too much water other times.  Best to wait.  I did hang a couple of wind chimes there - when there's a nice breeze on summer nights, we can hear them faintly and it's kind of nice.  

When I was hanging them up the other day, I was remembering how much I liked those little chimes we used to find in the five and dime store - they were made with different shapes and sizes of glass hung from bamboo hoops and had designs painted on them, as I recall.  We had one hanging on our porch and I could hear it from the hammock that was strung up between two big maple trees near our driveway.  I suppose they still make those, but I haven't seen one in years.  They weren't very substantial, as I recall.

I need to go get some rhubarb.  I hope all you fathers had a pleasant day, even if some of your activities and celebrations may have gotten a bit wet.  You're still appreciated, and it's nice you have a special day for your offspring to show it.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...