Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I wonder how many people did as we did and rushed outside this afternoon to get their lawns mowed?  Seems like every day we either get a little rain or it doesn't clear off long enough to dry out the grass enough to mow.  There are soggy spots in various places on our lawn, but I think we're resigned to letting ferns take over some of those areas now.  No point in stressing over it.

I finally got the rest of the supports for my peas up.   Not that I couldn't have done that in the rain, but it's more fun when the sun is shining.  I still have other vines to get trellises up for, but they are the flowering kind, not the food sort.

I don't think my garden is doing very well so far this year, but the weeds and witch grass are thriving.  So are the slugss.  But I fixed them - I put some bait out, the organic kind that they seem to really go for but it turns out to be sort of a last supper for them.  It worked well last year, so I'm using it again.  There are more slugs and snails everywhere, not just in the garden, than I remember ever seeing before.  I spotted snails in the road and in the gravel of Jamie and Marie's driveway when I was walking yesterday.  I've heard these creatures can lay dormant for something like three or four years if conditions aren't right for them to thrive.  Oh, well, they probably have their place in the scheme of things and provide food for birds and such.  They are a banquet this year!

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...