Monday, July 20, 2026

Sunfish Race Results

I'm a bit tardy getting these results to you, and I apologize - it's been a busy day! Sunday was a really crazy-wind day and Susan said it made for a very interesting race! Here's her report:

Joe's Pond reminded us once again that sailing is all about adapting to the weather. Last Sunday's race was cancelled because there wasn't enough wind. This Sunday, the problem was just the opposite—strong winds made for some very challenging sailing. As one sailor summed it up, "It was not a fun day!"

Six sailors planned to race, but only three crossed the starting line. The heavy winds proved difficult, with every sailor except Jack LaGue capsizing at least once during the race.

David Porter and his son, Sidney, capsized twice but persevered to cross the  finish line first and claim the victory for the Second Division. Picture on left.

In the Single Division, Jack LaGue (shown in the photo top right) earned first place, followed by Rob Stewart (photo at bottom right).

The next race is scheduled for Sunday, August 2. Here's hoping for winds that are just right—not too little and not too much! --Susan Bouchard

Good luck with that, Susan! Weekends this summer have been decidedly different - either steaming hot, really soggy wet, or cool and blustery. It does seem like we've had more than the usual amount of wind and violent storms here and there. 

Today has been an almost perfect summer day with temperatures reaching the high 70s and sporting a nice breeze. Actually, with doors and windows open, it was a bit chilly in my house, but I was busy and didn't mind - the fresh air was nice. Last night was really chilly - I forgot to check this morning to see what the low was, but I'm pretty sure it was 50 degrees -  or it might have even been in the high 40s. It felt like fall when I took the hummingbird feeder in about dark. It's time to begin closing up the house already - the outside temperature is 70 and the sun is slipping behind the  hill in back of my house, so it's going to get cool fast.

Before I sign off, a friend who is vacationing in Montana posted an interesting link on her Facebook page - (perhaps she is just a tad homesick?)  It is a Backroads and Brushstrokes site. I think you might have fun looking at these - some very familiar -  photos. Enjoy. 





 

No comments:

Sunfish Race Results

I'm a bit tardy getting these results to you, and I apologize - it's been a busy day! Sunday was a really crazy-wind day and Susan s...