Tuesday, December 14, 2010


We have our snow back! We got nearly 5 inches over night and have had a little more during the day today, but now it's stopped and the sun has peeked out from time to time, but it isn't warming things up - in fact, the temperature is dropping steadily. Right now it's 14 above.

I have been watching the weather for the rest of the nation and everyone is in a deep freeze, even most of you folks in Florida will feel the cold tonight. Cuddle up and keep warm!

I've got good news and sad news today. The good news is that Sue (Fitts) Martin's very recent operation has turned out very well. In addition, for some of you who may not have gotten the word, Margaret Fitts will be getting a pace maker tomorrow. Here's what Homer wrote yesterday:
HI -
HAPPY ! HAPPY ! SUE HAD HER OPERATION THIS AFTERNOON IN SALT LAKE CITY. EVERYTHING WENT REALLY WELL. DOCTOR IS REAL HAPPY. TOOK 13 CANCEROUS TUMORS OUT OF THAT LUNG.
DOCTOR EXPECTS SHE WILL BE RELEASED FROM THE HOSPITAL MAYBE AS EARLY AS FRIDAY.
WHAT A HAPPY RELIEF !
MARGARET WILL GET HER PACE MAKER PUT IN WEDNESDAY ABOUT 12:30. OVERNIGHT AND WILL BE HOME THURS.
THANKS FOR ALL THE PRAYERS !
LOVE AND BLESSINGS,
HOMER AND MARGARET

Now to the sad news. In today's Caledonian Record is not only Lucia Pearl's obituary, but also one for Beulah Palmer Lawrence.

Many of you have known Beulah, who lived in Danville for many years. She and her first husband, Cy Palmer once owned the large island; later the camp that Doug Hamilton owns belonged to her and her second husband, Ray Lawrence.
Beulah died on December 6, in Florida, at age 87.

You'll find both obits here: Caledonian Record Deaths

I've been working for way too long to get the new web site for Cabot Historical Society presentable. I may have mentioned that I'm doing this on my own on a Google site so I don't have to know much about the technicalities, just be able to follow directions - sort of. I've found there have been times when it was very reassuring to have a web master in the house. Fred has bailed me out quite a few times - even these wysiwyg sites aren't exactly easy. I have finally gotten the hang of it, though, and you can take a look - www.cabothistory.com.

There will be a lot more pages going on pretty soon, I hope, and with luck it will continue to grow and be useful to people looking for historic information about Cabot. We've been planning this for a long time, so I'm very happy it's finally a reality. If you visit and find errors or that something doesn't work, please let me know. Also, suggestions will be welcome. It's difficult for us (mainly President Bonnie Dannenberg and me, right now) to know what people look for and/or want from a site like this. I'll be putting more on about what we have in our research corner, as well as something about some of our displays. Bonnie has great expertise in genealogies, (and lots of other things!) and we will be listing those that we have and we'll also link to Bonnie's family site where she has a pile of information. Stay tuned!

I know, I can almost hear some of you saying, "that's about as dull as dish water," but I'm hoping some others will find the site at least a bit interesting, and maybe helpful.

Sue LaGue came by today. Work is progressing on their house, but she said it's awfully cold to work, even though they're inside. I guess they can't do much about heating the place yet - but for the sake of fingers and toes, I hope they can soon. We haven't been down for a while to either LaGue's or Gagne's, but I expect this bitterly cold turn of the weather will make it difficult for all of them - they must be glad they're not working outside.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...