Monday, December 13, 2010

Reminder: Tonight at 6 PM the Cabot Planning Commission will be holding a public work session on the Land Use and Natural Resources components of the Town Plan in the upstairs meeting room in the Willey Building.

*****

From Henretta Splain, W. Shore Rd.:

Friday night on my way home around 8 pm I was heading up West Shore and just after I passed Tom & John's camp a VERY BIG MOOSE crossed the road in front of me. I stopped the car to get a better look. It had crossed over in front of me to the pond side of the road. After I stopped it turned it's head and gave me a look and then nonchalantly turned completely around and walked back across the road again to where it started from and then headed back up the hill into the woods. I didn't see any antlers (rack?) so I am guessing it was a female but it was about the biggest moose I have seen. Massive head. Quite awesome!

Just had to share!
Henretta


They are great to see! We haven't seen any moose for a while, but occasionally see their tracks. They are interesting beasts. The sugar makers don't like them much because they tear down the lines that are left up year around in the maple woods. They don't do it maliciously, it's just that they are wading through snow or even just walking along and are apparently oblivious to the plastic lines. It's nice to see them, I think. Not too many years ago they were rarely seen here - only further north, but I guess they are finding this a pretty hospitable area, like the wild turkeys now.

Tonight the rain has turned to snow in much of the area. It's already white here and more is expected for the next few days. Everything got pretty well washed down, and there was no drying out period, so the trees and roads will be glazed over as the temperature continues to drop. A couple hours ago we cut some greens for me to use in decorating, and it was just beginning to turn to snow - the branches were well coated with a slushy mix, and very heavy. Road and possibly electric crews will probably have a busy night. So far not much wind, but that may change.

I didn't go to check the water level, it was too wet and messy by the time I got around. No point, really - it is what it is.


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...