Monday, December 13, 2010


Oops! Our snow is gone!
It rained hard most of the night and is still drizzling out there - temperature up to about 44 degrees. Most of our snow is rushing into the pond and beyond to the Connecticut River. Watch out, southern New England! No sign of that fisherman today! If the pond opens up from this thaw, the next time it freezes over will be the third - just like the old-timers say, it seldom freezes over for good the first couple of times.

I was going out to measure the snow depth today, but there are only patches left, so I was able to report a "trace" for total depth. Next week I'm sure I'll have more to report. We got nearly an inch of rain yesterday and last night. I read the gauge at 9 a.m. each day and this morning there was .97 in. The water is just pouring off the hillsides. I don't think the ground is solidly frozen, so some will be absorbed. On the other hand, all the warmish water rushing into the pond will probably do in the ice and the water level will certainly be up. If the rain lets up, I'll try to get a measurement later today.

Did you hear Vladimir Putin singing? Fred put a like to that video on home page. Pretty cute. There IS a softer side to the guy!

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...