Thursday, December 18, 2008

I sure goofed today! I drove down to Barnet this morning, going the back way through Peacham. The sun was bright in a clear blue sky and everything was like a beautiful Christmas card - snow on the evergreens, smoke rising from chimneys, the sparkle of the snow on the fields. There couldn't have been better photo ops if I'd been on a Hollywood set. But I forgot to take the camera. When I got home I was grumbling to Fred about it and he reminded me the winter is young yet and there will be plenty more snow picture opportunities.

I noticed in the paper tonight that the rail-trail folks are still making plans to continue work next summer (or fall). They are working inside, the article said, checking to see what permits they'll need or not need. I can't help wondering if the promised funds will dry up given the present state of the economy.

I came home through St. Johnsbury this morning and stopped at St. Jay Hardware to pick up a few things. I had in mind to get some of the new "creepers" for walking on ice. Heaven knows, we could all use a pair the way things have been going so far this winter. However, they were sold out, but the clerk said they'd be getting more in right away. After I got home, our neighbor, Henretta Splain, came to the door with a pair for Fred. She'd watched him slip and slide behind the snow blower while doing her driveway and felt sorry for him. We thought that was so nice of her. She's a good neighbor. I think she got them at Caplan's - so next time we're in town, we'll try there. Daughter-in-law, Marie, told me she and her sister use them all the time when they are walking in St. J. and they are great.

I had a nice note today from Doris (Comolli) Kreis who used to live in Barre. Doris lives in Montana now, but she has fond memories of growing up in Vermont. Here is some of what she wrote:


Jane,

Been a busy warm summer for us but now winter has arrived and we have found some zero temps which we are not used to out here, so we are setting some records.. Somehow I liked winter better with sleigh rides on Trow Hill.. ice skating at the Barre Aud.. and skiing in Sabins pasture.. somehow the magic of those winters are gone. Must be I grew up.

Anyway it's that time of year when we wish friends good health and thanks for being there.. You ,I thank for taking me down memory lane again and helping me restore some memories I had forgotten . Not just of the good times with my aunt [Mylka Brozicevic] but the good times of my youth and growing up in North Barre. Even the competition between Spaulding and Montpelier High, when I was going to MHS but spending weekends in Barre. But win or lose, I still had fun on game nights with those from Spaulding after the games..(I did have to sit with the MHS crowd ). And thank you for helping me to remember my father's side of the family more too . . . Tucky [Sancibrion] sent the census reports for those early years. They were all gone by the time I was 8. My father's sister had moved away in 1934 .. died a couple of years ago.. but never back to VT, and Maggi remarried and kept contact with his new wife until they died. My grandmother on that side had died when I was about five. So you had me digging out old pictures and just enjoying some warm thoughts.


We only have about two inches of snow ..but understand that is going to change too. Our winters are much milder. On top of skating at the Barre Auditorium there use to be a skating rink where the old swimming pool was.. below North Barre School, so I could walk in my skates to that rink. Then they moved it forward so it was nearer the sidewalk. Now there are buildings there. And even had lights so we could see and skate. Cold never bothered us.. along with sliding on cardboard down on Third street.. Toboggans were fun and haven't seen one of those in years.. along with the guys that had those jumpers.

Stay healthy and keep helping people connect. I connected somehow with Manny Carcoba.. his sister and I were friends growing up .. and he was just a toddler following behind us. now he is grown with a family of his own.. and Maria is gone.

.. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Doris


No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...