Friday, December 19, 2008

We are expecting another 3-5 inches of snow, so all the ski resorts are in great shape for the holidays. Folks who will be traveling will need to plan between storms, though, because after the snow today into tomorrow, another storm is heading our way Monday. We can't seem to avoid the on and off pattern. Perhaps that's a good thing. This time of year a long stretch of no snow usually means we have bone-chilling cold. That will come in January.

The bits I posted from Doris Kreis's e-mail yesterday, prompted a quick response from "Manny" Carcoba (known to Joe's Ponders as "Chico" - the very patient guy who logged in all those Ice-Out tickets for us over the past 14 years). Chico sent me a copy, so I know he won't mind if I post it:

HI DORIS,
I JUST READ YOUR NOTE TO JANE BROWN WHICH WAS POSTED ON JOE'S POND WEB SITE.
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING UP THOSE FOND MEMORIES OF BARRE'S NORTH END.TUCKY SANCIBRIAN LIVED IN HOUSE NEXT DOOR.I READ JOE'S SITE AS I KNOW LOTS OF CAMPERS THERE AS MANY WERE FORMER BARRE PEOPLE. ALSO I HAVE ENTERED THE ICE TKTS INTO MY COMPUTER FOR THE LAST 14 YEARS.I GAVE IT UP BECAUSE IT HAS GROWN FROM 3,000 TKTS TO OVER 12,000 LAST YEAR.AS I DO NOT RETURN FROM FL.THIS YEAR UNTIL APRIL 4TH, THAT PUTS TOO MUCH PRESSURE FOR ENTERING THEM BEFORE ICE OUT COMES.WILL MISS SEEING NAMES I ENTERED AS MANY OF THEM WERE ONES I KNEW.
A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YEAR. MANUEL CARCOBA

To clarify for some of you who may not know the history that attached Doris Comoli Kreis to Joe's Pond, here's her own explanation:
Jane [Brown] and I connected due to the History of Joes Pond..my grandfather had a camp there.. (the one owned by Ali Buttura on Barre Avenue.) My aunt Mylka is one of those that drowned there..She was 31..that is when I was 15. She lived and had a beauty shop in the house between Dellies store and Buds Market. (Passeto's at that time.)

After I wrote about the nuns drowning her at Joe's Pond (story under "History" on the home-page menu), people began reminiscing about other tragedies here at Joe's and told me about Mylka. In a very roundabout way, I eventually made contact with Doris. The story is as yet unwritten, but a few pieces have come together. In the meantime, I'm happy to know Doris and very much enjoy our correspondence.

I heard from Ella Brown (Fred's brother Tom's wife) this morning from Colorado:

"It is another overcast day with more snow predicted, perhaps 10 to 20 inches. Whew! I must say, when it snows, it SNOWS! . . . Here in the resort valley [Beaver Creek] there are only jobs advertised for managers of restaurants, chefs, part-time nannies, massage therapists, nail technicians – the usual services for those who can afford it. Wal-Mart is advertising for help within the store itself. Unemployment benefits will soon be maxed out at this rate."

Beaver Creek Resort is in Avon, Colorado, about 8 miles from Vail. Beautiful area with lots of deep snow. Tom sent pictures last year which you can still find on the web site - I think around March or so. Tom is a ski instructor at Beaver Creek so can get great shots of the mountains. Ella skis and also takes great pictures, and I'm sure they'll be sending some as winter progresses.

I'm heading to Cabot this morning to pick up some material for the Historical Society - more work, but I'm always anxious to go through new material to find whatever surprises there may be. Sometimes a long-missing piece of information comes to light and we at the HistSoc have a "eureka moment!"

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...