Wednesday, August 05, 2026

Odds & Ends

 Just a few odds and ends this morning - 

A blue kayak paddle washed up on our beach today.  We have it leaned up against the picnic table on our patio at 3504 Rte 2.  Gray camp with maroon shutters and striped awning.  Charlie and Linda Livendale

Great day today with lots of sunshine and very little wind! Such a pretty late-summer day, I couldn't resist a quick walk around my pond this morning. I wanted to get out there before the sun gets too hot. My pond is very low - and no water at all coming in from the upper reserve pond, so the rain we had on Sunday didn't amount to much. 

I finally have some flowers taking hold around the edge of my pond - but also there are weeds - the usual stuff that grows up around ponds, including cattails and reeds of one sort or another. I'm hoping the iris will take over next spring now that they seem to have a toehold. This year is a lost cause. I'm finding a few treasures - some stray rudbeckia is thriving next to the firepit - I'll transplant that this fall after it finishes blooming - and there are smaller black-eyed-susans here and there (no surprise). Also, I have what looks like a willow coming at the lower end of my pond. I think that will be a nice addition to shade the pond, so I'll try to leave that. My trimmer is no match for the tall weeds that are flourishing around the pond, but I know a guy . . . ! The trick is to be sure he doesn't whack the willow!

SATURDAY - Aug. 8 - Church Supper - Chicken and Biscuits, Baked beans, Salads, and Deserts. Eat in or dine out. 5 pm - 6:30 pm. By Donation. Cabot United Church, Main St.

Goodrich's Maple Farm - SPECIAL of the week!

Maple pecan pie topped with maple creemee, whipped cream and if course maple leaf shaped sprinkles! Stop on by and try this amazing addition!
Blueberry ice cream will be available tomorrow through the weekend along side our "Best in the world " maple creemee and available as a twist! 
 
And in closing, here is the obituary for Bob Noyes, a long-time Joe's Ponder on North Shore Road who passed away last Sunday at his home in Wheelock. I mentioned his passing here yesterday, but did not have the obituary then. I'm sure his wife, Julie, will appreciate hearing from friends at Joe's Pond. Her Address is: Ms. Julie Noyes, 303 Aldrich Lane, Wheelock VT 05851.

No comments:

And More EWM News!

Jamie Stewart sent more news on the progress of the Eurasian watermilfoil control group, but I had already posted his report about the party...