It is always with a heavy heart that I introduce a blog with those two words. This morning I learned that long-time Joe's Ponder (North Shore Road) Bob Noyes passed away on Sunday at his home in Wheelock. Bob and Julie have been at Joe's Pond for many years, and Bob's parents, Maxine and Clark Noyes of St. Johnsbury had the camp before that. I don't have an obituary to share, but there was a short announcement in the Caledonian Record today. Condolences may be sent to Julie at 303 Aldrich Ln, Wheelock, VT 05851. My thoughts are with Julie and their family. He will be missed.
We had some much-needed rain yesterday - there were times when it came down "in buckets," but surprisingly, it all amounted to less than half an inch, and I'm sure the ground sopped it up immediately - everything is very dry and we needed rain. Hopefully we'll get more to replenish the water table before the summer is over - it's never good to head into winter with everything too dry.
I was at the Cabot Historical Society again on Saturday afternoon. A family with several young children has visited twice now, and one little boy about 5 years old is absolutely fascinated by some of the things he's finding there. Upstairs there is an old-time traverse sled, some very long wooden skis, and some child-sized furniture he was immediately drawn to. On Saturday, they arrived as soon as the door opened at 1 o'clock and spent at least half an hour exploring the exhibits. He excitedly uses his "outdoor voice" to announce each new discovery, but it's a joy to see him so engaged. I have to wonder what this youngster will become when he grows up. His mom told us they only recently moved to Cabot and originally came to the historical society to try to learn about the home they bought on Main Street. They are convinced there are friendly ghosts living there. Somehow, it seems reasonable that this youngster, smitten with historic artifacts, would attract a ghostly friend from the past.
The historical society is busy each Saturday while we are open from 1-3. We are excited that so many people - some local, some just passing by or in town for other reasons - stop in. I was there for only about an hour last Saturday to assist new volunteers Betty Ritter and Deanna "Pinky" (Gould) VanShagen. Those ladies had it well in hand. Pinky grew up in Cabot and has been involved with all sorts of committees over they years; Betty was our town clerk for many years, so both know the town - and most of the people in it - way better than I do. Another long-time friend of the historical society, Bill Wheeler, stopped by while I was there. It's always nice to chat with Bill. He was fascinated by the new collection of snapshots taken of the construction of the Molly's Falls Dam by one of the engineers who worked there in 1926-27 and donated by his daughter this past year.
We will continue to be open each Saturday afternoon from 1-3 p.m. until cold weather forces us to close - usually mid-October, so plan to visit. It's a nice drive - maybe come by was of Cabot Plain (the view by the cemetery is magnificent!), and stop at Burtt's Apple Orchard (they have added cherries and delicious cherry pies to their store!) for apples, cider, or some of their famous cider doughnuts. Return either over Danville Hill (gravel road) to Route 2 or stay on paved Rt. 215 and follow the Winooski through Lower Cabot to Marshfield. I highly recommend the maple creemees at Goodrich's Maple Farm on Route 2. Ruth told me they also have interesting flavor combinations with fresh local blueberries and maple, and other "experimental" flavors. Their gift shop has been expanded and is well stocked and fun to browse. Also, I noticed their pricing on maple syrup is really reasonable compared to what I've seen elsewhere. Lots of choices, and they are experts.
Take care, enjoy the nice weather, and make the most of what summer we have left. It's going by altogether too quickly!
No comments:
Post a Comment