Saturday, March 16, 2024

Today's Ice Report, March 16, 2024

This may be one of the last ice reports we will be able to give to you. The weather is going to remain warm, so conditions are changing quickly on the pond and it may not be safe for my source to be out there. However, Bob Mackay is ice fishing this morning and he just reported to me that solid ice and snow have sort of merged and he drilled through 20 inches of "soft ice" to get to water this morning. That means more rapid melting going on with no solid ice to slow things down.

I also heard that Lake Morey's ice went out today, and their contest is over. Last year their ice went out on April 6. Stiles Pond in St. Johnsbury/Waterford area is reported to be very dark and that usually goes a bit before Joe's. There is no contest there, but it is one of the ponds we watch to get some idea of when our contest may be over. No report on Molly's Pond, which is another marker that we watch. Lakes and ponds in the area are listed as being "unsafe" at this point.

There you have it. Happy St. Patrick's Day tomorrow! I hope you find your own personal pot of gold!


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...