Tuesday, January 23, 2024

This and That in Late January

There are some interesting comments from other states on Vermont's struggle with wake-boat regulation. Once again, Vermont is taking the lead on an important issue and other states are keeping an eye on the outcome, hoping it will help them in solving their own wake boat problems.

I had to dig a short path to my outdoor bird feeders today and found that the ground is not frozen under almost two feet of mostly still heavy, wet snow. There was some crust to break through as well, but then my shovel peeled back soft, moist dirt. I wasn't surprised the ground isn't frozen under all that heavy snow. It is obviously very good insulation. There was that fleeting smell of moist earth that we usually experience in April - it's called mud season! - but the cold January wind whisked the moment away and I quickly finished my task and retreated to my warm house. It made me think about the ice on Joe's Pond, and whether that coating of snow on top of the ice may mean the ice isn't as thick or as strong as most years. I will try to reach my friend, Bob Mackay, to find out what the ice is like and will report later.

Our weather is moderating and will turn nasty tomorrow with snow and freezing rain before we get all rain and lose some of our snow. When I was out and about yesterday, there were a number of snowmobiles at Marty's and I saw some at the Route 2 crossings, so they are able to be on at least some portions of the trail. Rain may spoil that for a while, though. We still have February and March to get through, and that means plenty of time to build up snow pack.

Also, I want to mention that the little Brainerd Library in West Danville has been getting quite a bit of attention on Facebook recently. Several people have seen the picture and information posted there. The Joe's Pond ladies and their husbands who put so much time and effort into reclaiming and reopening the library, should be applauded. It was a huge undertaking, but it turned out to be absolutely beautiful and is  appreciated by many, many visitors every summer, including lots of locals. It is the smallest public library in Vermont, with some 800 titles for adults and children to enjoy.

I'll close with a little history and walk down memory lane. Someone asked me today if I remembered who the young man was who used to come to Joe's Pond with his seaplane, anchor just off the south shore. I remember him well - he was  welcome entertainment when he would land his seaplane, taxi to the southern shore near the boating access, anchor his plane and in due course, appear poised on the nose of the plane and finally make a beautiful dive into the water to swim ashore at Ned Hamilton's when Ned had a cottage on Barre Avenue. That was in the 1970s. And did I mention he was tall, slim, well muscled and tanned - and wore a Speedo? It was Warren Wetherell, founder of Burke Mountain Ski School. Later today I looked for him online, I found that he passed away at age 79 in 2014. There are a number of interesting articles about him. He was definitely more than just a handsome male in a sexy bathing suit.

No comments:

Spring and Reminders

This has been a busy weekend for me. I think the nice weather brought out not only the buds on trees and flowers, but it energized people. I...