Monday, December 11, 2023

More of the Same - Snow!

It seems we are destined to have snowy Mondays - this is the third weekend in a row that we've had heavy wet snow overnight on Sunday, making traveling dicey on Monday morning. It is a mess to clean up and even though we only had 5 or 6 inches overnight, it has snowed off and on most of the day. The trees are groaning under the weight, but so far the power hasn't gone out. Perhaps the weakest trees and branches have been culled out along the lines from the past two snowstorms. I have had at least two large branches break under the weight of the snow - one was an extremely long branch on a very old birch tree. I've wished that branch was out of my line of vision for years - it just interrupted the space and I often wondered why it grew so very long with no smaller branches, and few leaves anywhere. Now it is about half the length it originally was. I can see the broken portion on the hillside below it.

Also, I noticed a fairly large branch of one of my ancient crabapple trees came down. That tree is nearly dead, and I expect I'll have to have it taken down this spring. It's just very old and hasn't bloomed in years. However, my lovely little oak tree seems in danger of being damaged by the weight of the snow. I intended to go out to knock the snow off today, but I got busy with other things and just now realized I hadn't done that. Perhaps tomorrow. 

My friend Randy Chamberlain stopped by today. He's going to replace the under-counter lazy susan in my kitchen. Randy built my sun porch and he really enjoyed seeing his handiwork this time of year. He was amazed at the amount of snow we have compared to St. Johnsbury. I measured 5 inches of new snow at about 7 o'clock, and we got at least two more during the day. All wet and heavy. Even after yesterday's rain, I think we probably have over a foot of snow on the ground. We lost a lot of the snow in the rain, but we have plenty more keeping everything Christmasy white. I took pictures when I went down for the mail this afternoon soon after Jamie plowed our driveways again after work. If this keeps up he won't have any place to put snow by the end of January.

That's about all I have to offer tonight. Drive (and walk!) carefully. This stuff can be a tad slippery. I don't go out without my creepers on, and I decided not to go anywhere with the car today - mainly because I hate driving in all this sloppy stuff and getting my car all messed up. Then it will melt and make a mess in my new garage - can't have that! I know it's a losing battle keeping my car free of slush and salt, and over the years I've just accepted it and ran it through the carwash frequently. Now the only place to get it washed is on Railroad Street and I really don't like that one. It is very easy to use, but does a lousy job and costs too much.  I hope the place on Western Avenue gets going again soon.



No comments:

Spring and Reminders

This has been a busy weekend for me. I think the nice weather brought out not only the buds on trees and flowers, but it energized people. I...