Saturday, September 10, 2022

A Tribute to Greenbank's Hollow

 I received this very nice photo from Joseph Webster of Somerset County, Maryland, today. He and his family have fond memories of the area and when he read about the Bean Hole Supper at Greenbank's Hollow tomorrow, he sent this picture of the shelter over their BBQ area, built to replicate the bridge at Greenbank's Hollow. I was interested in the connection, and here is what he told me: 

Hi Jane, A brief history for you. 1973 my parents (Neil and Darlene Webster) and grandparents (Northam and Pearl Webster) along with my two oldest siblings (Marty and Lori) happened to stop at Injun Joe Court for a night as they were traveling. Mr. and Mrs. Perreault treated them like their own family and their hospitality brought our family back every summer. My grandparents and mom have passed, but a summer doesn't go by where at least my dad, my sister Lori's family, brothers Marty and John's family, and my family don't visit. Our family has expanded, and these days we all try to rent on the pond somewhere. Every summer we always visit a small swimming hole near the Greenbanks Covered Bridge. When the site was brought back to life, my wife, myself and our four children picnic and walk the trails. It has become a tradition for sure and we take a family picture each year. We appreciate the history and how well it's kept up and look forward every year to visit and sign the book. Thanks for all you do! Joe, Marybeth, Gabe, Molly, Caleb, Sarah, and the rest of our huge family.

Many thanks to Joe Webster for sharing his story and his appreciation of all the hard work and careful thought that goes into preserving this historic site. I'll be thinking of them tomorrow when Diane Rossi and I are at the Bean Hole Supper - which is actually at 1 o'clock; get there by 12:30 if you want to see them open the bean hole! 

See you at Greenbank's Hollow!



No comments:

AND THE WINNER IS . . . !

The winner of the 2024 Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest is Stuart Ramsdell of Danville. Stuart is retired and bought five tickets at Hastings ...