Friday, September 09, 2022

Full of Surprises

I woke up earlier than usual this morning for no particular reason, and as I tucked my increasingly uncooperative, longer locks behind my ears in wet, unruly strands, I glanced in the mirror and decided to put on some lipstick, even before breakfast. "You never know what the day will bring," danced through my mind.

I planned to work in the garage, finishing reorganizing that I began a couple days ago, but just as I finished a quick breakfast, I got a call from my lawn mowing guy, Bob, asking if it would be ok to mow the lawn today instead of tomorrow. No problem. My direction changed and I decided I'd take a few minutes to use my electric push mower to mow the walkway and the tight spots he cannot get to with his riding mower. Before I could even get started, a car pulled into my driveway. It was my cousin Bonnie and her husband, Paul Baharian, who live in Massachusetts and winter in Florida. I see them about once a year. I was delighted to see them - and mentally congratulated myself I'd at least put on some lipstick so I wouldn't look too bedraggled, even in my rumpled denims and plaid work shirt.

We sat on the porch and caught up on family news - always such fun, and especially since I see so much of my grandmother Bolton in Bonnie. She and Paul are aging well.

Everyone had gone by lunch time, and I watched the new King Charles address memorializing his mother, the late Queen, and then came into my office to check my email. That is almost always a pleasure. For instance, yesterday I had several responses to my bacon-baking disaster - and thanks to all of you who took the time to send an email. Good advice! I'm still working on deodorizing the microwave. The baking soda didn't have much of an effect, so I washed it down again with white vinegar and Dawn, and then heated a small pan of the cleaning solution in the oven and left it there. I think that will take care of it.

Also in today's email was the newsletter from the Responsible Wakes organization. JPA's last meeting was the last Saturday of August, so I'm posting it here for anyone interested in the results of this summer's initiative to get a proposal before the legislature. I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

Now, the porch is calling to me - even though I spent half my morning out there (or maybe because it was so pleasant out there then!), I'm thinking it would be nice to settle into the recliner with the latest issue of the North Star Monthly. But before I do that, I'm going to put on a little lipstick and tidy up my hair - just in case. It's strange that there are days in a row when I don't actually see a soul - and then there are days like this when I'm happily chatting with unexpected visitors, one after another. But it would be a strange day for me to spend it without putting on my lipstick. It always makes me feel better, even if it's a day when I know I'm going to be wearing a face mask! It's just part of my routine, like making the bed every morning before I leave the room and checking the temperature before I go outside. There won't be many more afternoons when it is comfortable on the porch, so I guess I'll get out there and sop up some of the last of summer.

No comments:

AND THE WINNER IS . . . !

The winner of the 2024 Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest is Stuart Ramsdell of Danville. Stuart is retired and bought five tickets at Hastings ...