Friday, November 12, 2021

Rain, Wind, Snow, What's Next?

 We've had a pretty wild day here, but it seems to be quieting down now, and the temperature is due to drop soon. This is freaky weather. Two or three decades ago, this would have been a pretty noticeable snow storm, I expect. It is, after all, the middle of November. I'm not complaining - I like the milder days, longer autumn and (presumably) shorter winters; but still, I can't help feeling a tad uneasy wondering what's in store for us down the road. Deer hunters always looked forward to having snow on the ground during deer season so it would be easier to track deer. There may be some snow this weekend, but most likely not in many of the favored hunting areas - only in the higher elevations. We'll see. I even recall years when there was ice on the pond at Thanksgiving and holiday travelers were annoyed by being slowed down by slippery roads, salt trucks and planes being delayed by the weather. Now it's more likely to be washouts and downed trees that slow us down trying to get to Thanksgiving dinner at Grandma's house.

No Thanksgiving at this grandma's house this year! I don't have the energy, even if there was no Covid pandemic. So I'm not worried about finding a turkey or cans of cranberry sauce or pumpkin pie filling. It's too bad there are shortages, and it seems as if things should never get to this point in this country that has so much. However, not everyone is cooking a turkey with all the trimmings. I talked to someone yesterday who is planning lasagna for her family. She said that has become a family tradition because it is far simpler and her family decided getting together without all the stress of traditional side dishes and desserts was much better, especially since everyone is busy working and has little time to fuss over all of that. I think it's great they have started their own tradition.

Our mail was just delivered. I guess there may have been poor road conditions or some breakdown to prevent our mail person from getting it delivered earlier. 4:45 is a record, I think. Usually it is here by at least 2:30 p.m.  It didn't seem to be our regular carrier, either. I guess we're lucky to still be getting rural deliveries at all.

Henretta Splain shared an article about what her daughter, Kellie Merrill, does in her work for the State of Vermont. Kellie also works closely with the Joe's Pond Association to help keep our pond healthy. I thought some of you would be interested in her findings. (LINK) It is encouraging that scientists like Kellie and her team are constantly looking for ways to improve the quality of our lakes and ponds - and the environment in general. Thank you for that, Kellie.

Last time I wrote here I had just buttoned up the porch and I was feeling a little "off" about how it looked - bare and deserted. I came up with an idea so it looks a little more decorative, at least from inside looking out. I haven't been outside to view it at night yet - the weather has been too cool and wet. But here is a picture I took so you can see my solution. I hope our neighborhood bear and his buddies - a raccoon, and probably a skunk or two, appreciate the back yard decoration!

Book update: The proofs have been sent out; we'll be reviewing within days and hopefully the presses will roll shortly. It's actually happening! You will be able to make purchases on line at the Danville Historical Society's website, I'm told. I'll keep you posted. 

Enjoy your weekend - be safe and happy. Stay out of crowds and get your shots, if you haven't already!


 

No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...