Monday, September 21, 2020

Answering Marcia and John

 Someone commented on one of my recent posts about when I worked for Lesnick's on Memorial Drive in St. Johnsbury, and all I know is it was from "Marcia and John." So, I'll write the few things I can contribute.

I first met Arthur in about 1950 when I went to work at Lesnick's, a DeSoto-Plymouth car dealership and also a farm machinery dealership owned by brothers Harry and Louis Lesnick. Arthur was a cigar-smoking, middle-aged alcoholic who hadn't had a drink in years, as far as I know, but he regularly attended AA meetings. At that time, it seemed a lot of people involved in auto sales in St. Johnsbury were either attending AA meetings or should have been. (Not the Lesnick brothers, however.) Arthur was a genial, dedicated accountant, a patient teacher, affable co-worker and dry wit. I had little experience in bookkeeping, but he was a great teacher and I liked and respected him. At the time, there were three of us in the office - Arthur, Lucille Jones Hoyt (later Oakes) and myself.

I remember him as average height, a little overweight, always very neatly dressed and perhaps a bit dapper. I think he played golf. His wife's name was Hazel, I believe; she appeared to be older than Arthur, but I have no way of knowing that for sure. We didn't see much of her and I think they eventually divorced. I left Lesnick's in about 1954 to work at the local radio station doing clerical work and writing advertising copy, and I think Arthur may have retired about that time. He often offered interesting and pointed remarks, one of which I think of often was, "Jane, nobody is indispensable."

I hope this helps a little - sorry I really can't tell you where Arthur was before he came to St. Johnsbury or where he went afterwards. He and Hazel lived on Washington Street, off of Portland Street, as I recall - in an apartment in a lovely old Victorian house overlooking the Passumpsic River. 

Perhaps someone who also remembers Arthur will read this and comment. If so, I'll post it here. Marcia and John, if you have more questions, you can email me at janebrowncabot@gmail.com, and I'll do my best to answer you.

No comments:

News on Local Property Taxes - and More!

It's that time of year when everything is coming to life again - the flowers are blooming and the trees are budding. Today is a lovely,...