Sunday, March 17, 2019

Here we are, almost the first day of spring! That's another good reason to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! We actually had a spring-like day yesterday and it took the snow pack down considerably. We had about an inch of snow - again - overnight, and when I cleared the deck this morning I was able to use my "shove and dump" method instead of "pick up and fling." The snow had pulled away from the deck enough to allow snow to fall between the structure and the snowbank. Yes, the snowbanks are still up there, but I'm guessing on the level the snow is down at least a foot from where it was. 
     Water was running on Friday and again yesterday, although it wasn't quite as warm yesterday. Today is chilly, too. I'm seeing 27.9F on the thermometer - and there's a mean wind today. But all of that is good because it will slow down the melting and help prevent flooding, at least for a while. 
     I've had lots of folks asking about Ted Chase these past several weeks. I checked in with Barbara yesterday and she told me Ted is coming along pretty darned well, considering. He has been off chemo for a little over three weeks and other meds have been reduced so he's beginning to not only feel better, but he's getting back to being more  like himself. He's still not able to talk much, and is too sore to swallow, but all of that will change soon as he is progressing daily.
     I'd say call (802-684-3883) and check with Barbara if you want to visit or offer any assistance; but for now the best way to communicate with Ted would be in writing. So send a card or note - I think Barbara told me a while back their email is  not functioning very well right now, so better not depend on that. Their address is P. O. Box 142, West Danville VT 05873.
    So, Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone! Enjoy the day, green beer if that's your thing, sing "Danny Boy" in the shower, or just wear something green. It's fun even if you aren't Irish. I'd love to have a big plate of corned beef and cabbage with Irish soda bread and beer (of any color) - but that's a lot of carbs, salt, fat and goodness knows what else goes into the corning process these days. I remember going into Gleason's Market, I believe it was - on Main Street in St. Johnsbury, and ordering a corned beef brisket well before St. Patrick's Day just to be sure I had a good one. They cured their own at the store, and it was really good. Then, after a couple meals, I'd combine the leftovers into hash. Those were the days when I didn't worry about calories or the effects of too much salt in my diet. I thought about buying a brisket last week, but decided against it. I'll satisfy my corned beef cravings with a single serving at Three Ponds or Danville Inn. No leftovers, no temptation. Geeze, how dull!

No comments:

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...