Thursday, March 14, 2019

    We had our first really spring-like day today, at least one that wasn't way out of season. We've had a few days this winter that were close to this warm (in the low 40s) but they were freakish because it was in January or February. Now, it seems like it could be for real!
     Every snow storm or seriously cold snap we've had these past few weeks I've said could be the last - but every time I'm fooled and we'd get another swing with temperatures dropping out of sight. This weather feels promising. I'm even glad to see our road looking dark and muddy. Sometimes things just have to get worse before they can get better!
     I was going through some of my notes for the West Danville history book and found a notice that had appeared in the Caledonian back in 1910 that they had recently published "an attractive booklet" about Joe's Pond and West Danville that was written by C. H. Clark. It had pictures of some of the cottages then, views of the pond and surroundings and a "short sketch of the pond and its attractions." I'm assuming the "sketch" was text, not a map of any sort.
     I have reached out to Mark Smith at the Caledonian Record, and he will look into it, but said his grandfather bought the paper in 1919, so it is unlikely they would have anything earlier than that. 
     There are probably copies of that booklet around, but I've Googled and found nothing. I'm hoping someone who reads this may remember it or better yet, might have a copy still. We would like to see it - you never know when a "new" old photo will show up nobody has seen before. 
     A few days like this and "sugarin'" will really get going. I expect some places are already getting runs, but it's been pretty cold here so it is probably going to take a few days to warm things up to that point.
     I noticed a big load of logs go down our road early this morning. That won't be happening much longer - the town will post the back roads to keep heavy loads off when they begin to break up. We're getting close to the time when folks who live on dirt roads only go out when they absolutely have to. Unless, of course, mud season isn't too bad. That has been the case in recent years, but I'm afraid we've had it too good for about as long as our luck is going to last. We're about due for a doozie.
     We had an Ice-Out Contest ticket come recently with a guess of something like June 1 for the ice to go out. Whoever it was probably saw on the Ice-Out page on the website that there was a report the ice is between three and four feet thick. I sure hope we have open water before then! In past years we've had people guess it would go out in February. My guess is that it will be late April. I guess since I'm not part of the Ice-Out Committee any longer, I could buy a few tickets and make some guesses - but I haven't done that yet. I'll have to think about it. I could wait until about the last minute and do it on line. Maybe that's the way to go. By the end of March we should have a better idea of whether there is going to be more super-cold weather or if spring is actually here. 
     Isn't it disappointing when some of your favorite people do stupid things - like buying their kids' entrance into college?  It certainly isn't doing the youngster any favor and sets a really bad example. I feel sorry for the kids - especially the kids who have decent scores and can't get into the college of their choice because someone else less deserving is there. We certainly live in an imperfect world.

No comments:

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...