Wednesday, March 06, 2019

A Merry Ice-Out Mix-Up!

We aren't sure how this happened, but the media sure can mess up the news - without even trying! Here are links sent by my friend, Mary Whitcomb this morning, and her message:
 Good morning Jane,
Avery Powell of WCAX, reported this morning about a drawing of a bottle of vanilla extract being placed on the Joe’s Pond block, but I never heard
about that.  I think there has been a very confusing mistake made in the Caledonian Record.
The article has combined info between Joe’s Pond Ice-Out and one done on Lake Memphremagog  per their story posted on Feb. 4, 2019.
It’s quite a mix-up, I’d say. 
Mary

Our Ice-Out Contest Committee pounced on it right away. Shelly Walker happened to be watching WCAX this morning and caught the 7 o'clock foul-up. She shot them an email right away, so it will likely get corrected. It's too bad WCAX used the Caledonian's report instead of the copy sent to them by Shelly.
As for the Caledonian's report - I checked my newspaper and the Joe's Pond insert was perfectly correct there. I'm guessing it got confused somehow when it was digitized. I've heard that there's any publicity is good publicity for things like our contest - so no doubt this will generate some conversation as well as confusion - for both contests. Shelly Walker (part of our Ice-Out team) told me the Memphremagog contest prize is about $500, while ours is about $5,000. They probably haven't been at it as long as Joe's Pond has!
Weather today is iffy - we have a temperature of 13.1F right now, and an overnight low of about 5F, so even though there is weak sunshine, things aren't warming up much. We also got a little snow overnight, but only about an inch and it's very light and dry at those temps. We're all saying, "Think Spring!"

No comments:

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...