Friday, February 01, 2019

Yep, we've got another cold day, but it's a heck of a lot warmer than yesterday. It's presently eight degrees above zero - and no wind. When I was out earlier to measure the new snow (one inch!) it was a little colder - about three above, but I could feel the warmth of the sun. The heat is there and getting stronger every day. Spring is definitely on the way. We just have to get through a little more nasty weather with maybe a few more crazy swings to rain and unseasonable warmth and back to cold again, but we're over the worst of it now, I believe.
     Yesterday we went to St. Johnsbury to get haircuts and do recycling. It was so cold! The wind was whipping and it went right through you. We were both cold when we got home, but I pushed the thermostat up a couple of degrees and that got the chill out of our bones. 
     I wish we'd had the camera with us. The snowbanks along the pond roads are pretty high - some of you who are away for the winter would probably be surprised at how much snow we have. I'm getting calls about whether to have roofs shoveled and who to call to do it, and my advice is to have someone you trust take a look, especially if you have a flat roof. In some places the wind will have blown the snow off, but in others it may have drifted a huge amount on a roof and that could mean trouble. Better to be safe than sorry.
     Right now the only reference for roof shoveling I have right now is Kyle Johnson. You can call him at 802-535-6735. I expect he's pretty busy, but if he can't help you, he may know of someone else who can. 
     I stopped yesterday to see a couple of friends living at Canterbury Inn, an assisted living home in St. Johnsbury. Eric Bach recently bought the facility. It is very pleasant there - one of my friends described it as "like living with family." I hadn't visited there since our 100+ year old friend, Mrs. Karacashian (my kids always called her "Mrs. K-k-k") was there a long time ago. Like all those places these days, there is a long list of people waiting to get in.
     I got this picture this morning from Butch and Susan Bouchard.
They met Jack and Sue LaGue and Richard and Carmen Gagne in Naples the other day. Butch said it has been cooler than normal in Florida. they look like a happy group all the same - even with sweaters, fleece and long pants!
     I guess the whole nation is finding this winter is unusual. In Alaska, there has been "freakishly warm" weather starting back in the fall. Of course, someone came up with "Baked Alaska," to describe the warming trend. But in Anchorage it has been consistently warmer than here at Joe's Pond just about every time I've compared weather notes. Still, it probably wouldn't be a wise move to head to Alaska instead of someplace like Florida if you're looking for relief from the cold.
 

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...