Saturday, December 08, 2018

Baby, It's Cold Outsi . . . .Oops!!

Better not go there - might offend someone. But it IS cold outside this morning. Bright sunshine, and four degrees - above zero. Low last night was -1.4F. The sky was clear and it was a beautiful night to look out - not so nice if you had be BE out.

We had snow flurries off and on yesterday, but they didn't amount to much. Just enough to cover up the icy spots so you can't see them walking or driving - little surprises along the way.

I went online to read the lyrics of the now banned holiday song and I can see how in today's culture they come across as controversial. In it's day, 1944, it was just flirty and suggestive - but really never offensive.

I read what the daughter of  Frank Loesser, who wrote the song had to say, and I thought it was very enlightening - I don't know about the part about Bill Cosby spoiling it for everyone else, but the part about how her father came to write the song was interesting and I could imagine those parties where lots of people in the entertainment field had gathered and it was expected that some of those performers would entertain the guests with bits from their latest act or, in the Loesser's case, a new song performed with his wife and musical partner, Lynn Garland Loesser.

One thing strikes me as being out of sync somehow is that this song is creating such a fuss while the really, really raunchy stuff being written and played on the air every day now is perfectly acceptable. Trust me when I say you don't want to read the lyrics on many, many of those songs. But radio stations everywhere are playing this really bad stuff - rap, hip-hop, rock and even country-western - they all have some pretty racy stuff going on these days.

Of course, it's a totally different world than even 20 years ago. Better or worse, it's where we are as humans right now. Some songs I will choose to leave off my play list; but I think I'll probably keep Baby, It's Cold Outside - it's a reminder of a time when girls appreciated an occasional whistle or an enthusiastic "Hubba-hubba!"

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...