Wednesday, August 15, 2018

It's official - fall is right around the corner. I heard my first cricket chirping today. I've also been noticing the big ferns at the edge of our mowed lawn up back are turning brown and the goldenrod is blooming profusely. It's all signs of summer winding down. It's ok, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it, but it does seem to me that this has been a very short summer. Maybe because I've been pretty busy.

I was curious about the cricket I heard today, so I looked it up and found out there are spring and fall crickets! Who knew? The spring crickets overwinter as nymphs and as soon as warm weather comes, they  develop and begin to chirp quite early. By July, they have laid their eggs and the adults die off. Then there's the fall crickets that hatch in the spring but don't become adults until late July or early August. So apparently we have only about a month between chirping. I'm not sure how, other than when we are hearing them, the two species of crickets are identified - one cricket looks pretty much like any other, I think. But the fall crickets do try to get inside where it's warm as soon as the cooler weather sets in. Just what I need - crickets in the house. That has happened a few times, and their chirping is really annoying. It makes it pretty easy to find them, though. I always deposit them back outside, unharmed. 

Another thought occurred to me after reading about crickets - the reason I probably don't notice crickets so much in the spring is because the peepers are so loud. Then we have the loons the jays and crows - hardly a moment of silence all summer long. It gets pretty quiet in the winter, though. Then we listen to the wind . . .

Do not forget that Sunday is the final Sunfish race AND the after party when the awards are handed out. All sailors and others involved in the races are welcome at the Smith cottage after the race is finished. Looks like it's going to be nice weather, so get out there and sail if you can, or watch from the sidelines. Contact Susan Bouchard with any questions about the race - 563-2716.

The final JPA meeting of the season is coming right up, too. That is on Saturday, August 25, at 10 a.m. at the pavilion. We will have guests - Jenni Lavoie and Jeff Paquet (who serve on the planning commission, I believe) from Danville will be at the meeting and will be talking about the proposed shore land overlay district. They will also be interested in hearing any concerns about current zoning or anything else the planning commission can help with. Apparently there is a new group, I think it's called Danville Better Connections Project, that will be  working to assess what areas or businesses within Danville, including West Danville, North Danville, etc., may be struggling in some way, and will then work with the community to try to improve those problem areas. This is a meeting you probably won't want to miss. It will offer people who are not voters to at least be heard and voice an opinion which Jenni and Jeff will take back for consideration by the study group. If you cannot be at the meeting, I'll try to recap the gist of their presentation in the JPA minutes.

Right now, we're having a very loud thunder storm and I think I'll get off my computer and go watch the storm - as in cowering on the sofa. I do not like thunder storms!!


No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...