Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Well, it seems I've been laboring under the impression where we live, a couple hundred feet above the pond, is the place to be because it's so much warmer! Not so!! My weather station was apparently struggling with low batteries and simply refused to drop to the ridiculously low temperatures that were actually out there.
I had a call from Kate Chatot early this morning and we compared readings - I decided I definitely liked my 30-something reading on this thermometer way better than he single-number reading. But we changed the batteries anyway and now I think I'll be reporting more reliable temperatures. It was sure nice while it lasted, even if I did get quite a ribbing from Kate. What troubles me most is that I've been reporting those erroneous temperature readings on CoCoRaHS. I wonder what whoever reads and records the stuff on those reports thought when my report was 20 degrees warmer than everyone else's. Anyway, I fessed up when I made today's report. 
     Today has been pretty nice, even if it was a little colder than the first day of spring is expected to be. The snow melted a little bit in our driveway, and the sun was wonderfully bright and even a little warm in sheltered spots. It gives one hope that spring is not too far away!
     I think our cat, Woody, is anxious for spring, too. He continually asks to go out different doors every morning. I think he expects one of them will open to bare ground and green grass, but instead he gets a blast of cold air that pins his ears back and discourages venturing out. He sometimes goes into the garage and I lift the overhead door a little so he can go in and out with ease. But he doesn't stay out long, even on nice days like today. After a few failed attempts to get us to open a different door, he gives up and settles down in a sunny spot in front of the livingroom window.
     So spring is here - but not really. At least this next nor'easter is going to miss us!
 

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...