Saturday, December 30, 2017

This sad news came from Mary Whitcomb today:
 Just to let you know, I found Clem outside this morning, dead on my front steps. I’m not exactly sure of the cause of his death, but earlier I did hear a bang on a window and I’m left wondering if he flew into it. It’s been sunny here & even though my drapes were 2/3 pulled close, there is still a reflection on the glass. I suppose we’ll never know for sure, but his passing has left a hole in my heart and I can’t stop crying for him. He was such a trooper and fought long and hard to stay alive. Even though I’ve only “known” him for 19 days, I am so sad right now. Some would say it was just a bird, but that is just not true. He won me over the first time I saw him and it was a joy to feed him, take pictures of him, and to share him with other bird lovers. It is with great sadness, that I had to write you this news. On a brighter note, Zac Cota, who came here 3 times to see him and take many photos, works full time at the North Branch Nature Center and will be taking “Clem” to a taxidermist. He will be shown at the nature center and his story will live on for many years. Mary

We are all very sad that Clem came to such an abrupt demise after his long struggle to live in this hostile climate. I share Mary's sadness, but it's very nice that Clem will be remembered and others will be able to observe the beautiful, strong little bird and know is story. 

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...