Sunday, December 31, 2017

This is a very quiet Sunday. There has been almost no traffic on our road all day. The thermometer hasn't been above zero, even though there was plenty of bright sunshine earlier in the day. Now the sun is sinking behind the hill in back of our house, and the temperature is sinking with it. I have a reading of minus seven now, and with a gusty wind, the wind-chill reading is hitting minus twenty on a fairly regular basis. That's probably why people aren't moving about much. It will be awfully cold for people who are out and about for the First Night celebrations.
     We had a sifting of snow yesterday or overnight, but not enough to bother anyone except according to the weather people, it was just enough to make the roads unusually slippery. It was too cold all day yesterday for the salt mixtures the road crews use to work, and people were driving too fast, not realizing the roads that looked bare actually had black ice.
     We will be staying in tonight. We got a couple lobster tails when we shopped this week, and will put those together with some shrimp and rice for a sort of special New Year's Eve supper. Fred will have some gingerale and I'll have a glass of wine - IF we are awake to toast the New Year. I'm remembering a few years ago when I had the amazing idea to hoist a ball of white Christmas lights to the top of our flagpole and lower it at midnight while Fred captured the moment with the camera. It didn't go well, and in the video, Fred was heard grumbling as I giggled and fumbled getting the lighted ball down. That was actually January 1, 2014--I just found the account in the blog archives; however, I didn't post the video. Probably just as well! No such stunts this year.
     I was outside just long enough to get snow measurements this morning, and the rest of the day I've been mostly at my computer. Fred is watching the football game.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...