Tuesday, December 19, 2017

This came from Mary Whitcomb yesterday (Monday):
 Hello Jane, This is day 9 and my beautiful Baltimore Oriole is still coming every day to eat sunflower seeds, raspberry jelly, and clementines.  I’ve had a couple nights that were minus 8 degrees, but he somehow manages to survive the cold.  Yay!!  Sharon Myers wrote and asked me how he was doing.  She mentioned talking about him on the Channel 3 News tonight and showing a photo of him.  If he is still here on December 26th, he will get counted when my area does their bird watchers Christmas count.  That would make a special entry for their records!  😊   Mary  

I saw Sharon Myers weather segment on WCAX last night.  She had a picture of Mary's oriole and spoke about how unusual it is for one to be here in December. Mary sent another message to me last night--
I almost forgot to mention to you, but my family came up with some names like you did for the oriole.  My sister, Carlene Squires, suggested Clem and we all agreed it was the best choice for him.  😊   Mary 
 
So now we have a name for him! 
 
I'm sure Clem is enjoying the warmup today. Our thermometer is showing 34 degrees with a low of -4 degrees. The would have been sometime in the early hours of Monday, I expect. Diane Rossi told me her low on Sunday was -10. We didn't get that cold here, but once it gets below zero, for me, it's just plain darned cold.
 
We were at Dartmouth Hitchcock yesterday for Fred to have a simple procedure done to prevent blood clots from entering his lungs during the operation in January at Tufts. Everything went very well, the little umbrella-like screen is in place, and he's feeling good. No more chemo for the present, at least, and hopefully he'll gain  back some of the weight he's lost. His appetite is coming back, and yesterday we picked up sandwiches at the Hanover Co-op before we left, around 3 o'clock, then as we go near the truck stop in Wells River, he decided he needed a piece of chocolate pie. By then the roads were deteriorating and it was already pretty dark, so when we left the truck stop, it was slow going. We had seen one car off the road in the Fairlee area, so knew there were tricky spots on the highway. We had no problem, and arrived home around 5:30. I'm sure Fred could have driven ok--he was navigating very well at the Co-op--but since the instructions when he left the hospital were that he shouldn't drive, we stuck to that. Seems like I'm getting a lot of driving time in these days! We were both tired when we got home, and not very hungry--no, I DID NOT have chocolate pie or anything else at the truck stop! Fred's the one that needs to put on some pounds; I need to shed a few.

All is well this morning, Fred is feeling good, and I slept until 9. I got up in time to make my report to CoCoRaHS--we got 2.3 inches of new snow yesterday--and now I need to catch up on e-mails.
 

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...