Tuesday, October 31, 2017


     This was probably not a great night for youngsters to be out doing their Halloween rounds.  At least, here at Joe's Pond it is pretty chilly.  I don't think it got much above 45 degrees today, and there was a brisk wind.   I took these pictures from my office window early this morning as the sun was coming up.  It looks like we have lots of color, but really it was just the sun brightening everything.  The sun didn't stay long - those dark clouds kept us pretty gloomy most of the day.  We also had a few showers.  At one point this afternoon it looked like it was more than just rain - but it was just a brief shower, and if there were snowflakes involved, they melted before hitting the ground.  I looked at the thermometer and it was 42 degrees, so I was probably wrong about seeing snow mixed in.  Now - it's 11:30 and 36 degrees, and no wind, so I expect there will be a frost before morning.  At least there's a moon tonight - another indication it will be a cold night.
     We have had a fair amount of rain this month, finally.  I just checked my records for the summer and found I reported 3.89 in. in July, 3.18 in Aug. and 3.02 in Sept.  This month came in at 8.83 in.
I'd say we have a good start making up for those dry months.  November is our cloudiest month, normally, so perhaps that will mean we'll get substantial rain, too, but who knows?  I'm not sure there's anything "normal" about our weather these days.
      As usual, we had no trick or treaters.  It's a good thing because we didn't have any candy on hand at all.  Usually we have a bag or two of candy that we really like ourselves, just in case - and then we end up eating it, of course; however, this year we decided we would stick to a healthier plan and if youngsters came, they'd get apples. 
     A few years we've been away on Halloween.  One year, when we were still working, we were in Provincetown, on the Cape.  That was an experience, and great fun.  At least twice we've been in Maine.  Halloween is much more civilized than it used to be, I think.  There doesn't seem to be the vandalism and destruction we used to have.  I suppose that goes in cycles.  
      We had a call Sunday from Granddaughter Tangeni.  She was very excited that she was going trick or treating in their neighborhood tonight.  She was dressing up as a puma, she told me.  And then she asked me if I knew what a puma is.  I said I did, so we discussed whiskers and tails and comparisons with Woody.  She gets National Wildlife's "Ranger Rick" magazine, so is up to date on all sorts of animals.
     

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...