Sunday, November 01, 2015

Here we are, starting off November with weather more suited to October - but let us not complain.  I think last year we had some really nice, mild fall weather, too - and then we paid for it, and paid for it some more, with long stretches of below zero days and not even a January thaw to offer a bit of relief.  So we better enjoy the nice weather being promised - and be prepared to pay dearly for the pleasure.

I didn't get outside today except to measure the small amount (.03 in.) of precipitation in the weather tube.  The rest of the day was spent half-heartedly working on some old photos that needed cleaning up, and of course coughing, coughing, coughing.  This cold just doesn't seem to want to let go.  I finally got smart about it and made a steam tent with hot water and some Vicks, and that has helped open up my breathing and calm the coughing some.   Woody thinks it's wonderful having me and my lap more available than usual, but I've about had it with all of this and need to get over it.

I heard a week or so ago from a friend with family connections to Cabot saying she has a woolen blanket that was made at the Haines Mill in Cabot many years ago and used by her family, the Blodgetts.  I first connected with her after we published "The Blodgett Papers," and more recently helped fill in some blanks for her about the connection between the Blodgetts and my family, the Boltons.  My grandfather Bolton's first wife was Mary Blodgett, who I believe would be this lady's great aunt.  Mary died in childbirth along with her third child, and several years later my grandfather married Grace Pinkham, my grandmother.  So although there is a connection, we aren't related.  The old blanket is en route to me for the Cabot Historical Society and it will be an especially nice acquisition for us. 

There was also an inquiry a while back posted on the Comments Page from someone looking into the Garney family's home.  This has come up before, so I do have some research already done, but I was late in responding to the Comment and to date haven't heard anything more.  I'm hoping the lady will contact me through the Cabot Historical Society website.  With luck, I'll continue to feel better each day and can get back to work and perhaps can help her if she contacts me.  In the meantime, I'm adjusting to the new time, but slowly.  I always dread changing time and would much prefer remaining on one time year around.  In a few days it won't matter, but for now it's a bother.

No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...