Thursday, September 25, 2014

We have sad news today.  One of Danville's most respected and loved citizens, Catherine McDonald Beattie passed away yesterday at her home, the McDonald Farm, in Danville.  Anyone who spent much time at all in Danville knew Catherine, and she was well known and respected in other towns, as well.  I first met her just before my first son was born, when we lived on Hill Street in Danville.  She stopped by one day just to welcome me and chat; I knew who she was but hadn't actually met her until then.  I recall she questioned me thoroughly about who my doctor was, how I was feeling and ended our conversation by, "Well, don't worry, there's nothing to it."  That would have been in 1957 - I don't have any idea how many children Catherine had at that time, but I knew she was as much of an authority on the subject as I'd probably ever meet - probably as good or better than my doctor since he'd never actually experienced childbirth.  I was encouraged by her optimism and even though I had no idea what was ahead of me, I knew I could handle it. I have admired her for many years since then, and although we were not close friends, I have missed seeing her at the Creamery Restaurant, bumping into her at the grocery store, the fair or social events, and now will miss just knowing she is at the farm.  There will never be another quite like her.  Our deepest sympathy to her family. 

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...