Thursday, August 21, 2014

As near as I can tell, Fairpoint e-mail still is not functioning except intermittently.  I think I was able to send a couple of e-mails this morning, but I've had no messages all day - on any account.  Sort of leaves me wondering what the heck is going on - it's like a vacation on one level, but mighty lonely at the same time.  This breakdown comes right at a time when I would really prefer to have "instant access" to my e-mail, but since I don't, I've been able to get quite a bit of work done and some housekeeping, too.  Both in the office and actually in the house!  I even dusted throughout this morning - not one of my favorite chores, and watered all the plants (which I usually do on Sunday) and in a few minutes I'm going to go out and pick up some apples for applesauce.  There are lots on the ground - most not very good, but if I don't go now and get the best of them, the deer will get them and I'll be out of luck.

We had such a beautiful day yesterday and there seemed to be more than the usual amount of activity.  The town graded our road yesterday - at least down to Sandy Beach Road.  They probably won't do past the rest towards Route 2 until most of the summer folks have gone - too many complaints about noise, dust, traffic being held up, etc., I think.  It does make the road unusually dusty for a few days after they've honed it, and with the amount of traffic on West Shore Road, the summer cottages that are so close to the road really get well "dusted."  We have trees between us and the road, and are well set back, so the dust doesn't bother, usually.  Today the showers will help to settle it.

This is the rail trail, looking good at the crossing on Old Homestead Road.  There was work going on there yesterday when we went by.  We also got this picture of a catamaran about to go through the narrows from the middle pond into the big pond.  Really pretty, isn't it?

Everyone is probably taking a breather today, enjoying the cooler weather, and making plans for the great week of weather promised in another day or so.  Summer isn't over quite yet, thankfully, even though days are getting noticeably shorter and fall flowers are blooming.  The goldenrod around here is lovely, and phlox is gorgeous.  My hydrangea is loaded with blossoms.  It's a pretty time of the year.  Chicken BBQs at West Danville and Cabot churches on Saturday - chicken pie suppers right around the corner.  How cool is that!









No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...