Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Gee, I wish I could announce that we've had a real break in the cold weather, but that just isn't the case.  I don't think we got out of the single numbers above zero today - although the sun was out and it looked beautiful outside.  I was out there, but briefly, and it was cold, especially where the wind hit (right out of Canada!)  We had a couple inches of new snow yesterday and last night, so now the stake out back shows 9 inches.  I'm not certain, but the wind may have piled it up a bit at the stake.  I didn't trudge out there to check, I just used my binoculars to read the figures printed on the stick and reported what I saw.

As I was going down our driveway just before lunch, the sun was warm on  my back, and I was thinking that the earth is tipping back and our little spot on earth will be getting more minutes of sunshine each day which will begin to warm us, in spite of the cold air.  It happens.  In the meantime, we all dress with layers and wear clunky boots and massive mittens, and rush from warm vehicles to warm buildings if we're lucky enough not to have a job that requires being outside.

Woody hopefully tests the weather each day, and returns inside within a minute or so, fur puffed up against the cold and, I swear, a disgruntled look on his fuzzy face.  Spring just isn't coming fast enough for him.  I feel a little of that, too, but right now I'm pretty busy at my computer, so I'm not overly anxious to have nice weather that's going to tug at me to be outside instead of tending to business.
 
Here's a nice break for you - a chance to have a great dinner and see your friends - or have it at home, if you like.  Take a look.  Click on the image to make it larger to read.  The weather will no doubt change by February 22, and you'll be excited to get out and enjoy a meal and see folks.  There are great cooks out at North Danville Church!

Which reminds me - Butters Restaurant that relocated to the back of the hardware store in Cabot has changed hands.  Stan Linkovitch, who ran Butters, has taken a full time job at Goodfella's in Danville, and the little lunch room at the hardware store will be operated by Sarah Mangan and known as Sarah's Country Kitchen.  Sarah previously worked in the deli at Cabot Village Store, so expect the good food to continue.  Stan had a great menu at Butters, so I have no doubt he'll be a great addition to Goodfella's.  Stop by and welcome him, and drop in at the Cabot Hardware Store and meet Sarah.  I believe Sarah's is open now - Stan will be at Goodfellas around Feb. 1.

I've been going through the interviews we did for the Cabot oral history book, and in one of them, either Wendell Goodrich or his son, Walter was telling the interviewer about going to West Danville from their farm in East Cabot.  The Goodrich farm is across Molly's Pond from where Route 2 is; but back in the 1800's, the road wasn't where it is today.  Instead, it ran close to Molly's Pond during the summer, and on the pond in the winter.  The road connected with one that came from Peacham direction, that was at least in the general vicinity of the Bayley-Hazen Road.  In the winter, travelers going to West Danville would cross Molly's or Joe's Pond on the ice to avoid climbing the hills.  The road to West Danville was not next to the pond at that time, but followed the hillside above, and came down into the village from the ridge. However, according to what we were told, roads in the winter followed the easiest route - one that was as level as possible, and as sheltered as possible.  And, of course, they were either traveled on foot or with horses, and later were rolled for sleds and sleighs to travel.  There was at least one instance when people drowned from going through the ice on Molly's Pond in the spring of 1864.  Henry T. Durgan, 24, and O. W. Gorham, 9, were drowned on April 27, 1864.  I don't know who the young Gorham boy was, but the Durgans lived about where the Cabot Statuary business was, by the brook that comes from Cabot Plain.  I may have a newspaper clipping about that accident, but it would be in one of the books at the Cabot Historical Society building and I can't get in until spring.  I knew the story, however - Velma Smith and I came across it when we were working on Cabot Cemetery information way back when.  Both Durgan and Gorham are buried in the Durgan lot at the East Cabot Cemetery.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...