Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Day, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!  Outside it looks more like Christmas - the trees are laden with snow, and it's only 14 degrees as I write this.  There is a little sun from time to time, but clouds above and snow showers seem to be the recipe for today.  These are our trees by our driveway this morning.

I went on the webcam a few minutes ago and the broad part of the pond is still open due to the wind today.  It seems to be coming straight down the pond, and even as cold as it was last night, the wind blew all night, I think, and  kept the water from freezing.  The coves behind the islands at the north end of the pond seem to be frozen over again, though. 
 
Yesterday was entirely different.  We had pretty heavy rain during the morning.  Fred and I went to the Danville Health Center for our flu shots, and when we stopped in West Danville for the mail, Fred took these pictures.  In the afternoon, the temperature began to drop, and the wind picked up.  Everything froze tight.  My anemometer is stuck, frozen in time, pointing dead north, but nothing is turning, so I have no idea how strong the winds were last night.  I took in the flag before the rain came - I don't like to see it wrapped around the flag pole, either drenching wet or frozen. 
 
Fred has been out clearing the driveway so our guests will be able to get here this evening, but it was a cold job.  He just got an L. L. Bean "Mad Bomber" hat, and I couldn't resist getting this picture as he came in this morning.  His glasses fogged up, so he looks like some alien.  Sometimes he's pretty much covered with snow when he comes in, but today it is so cold out there, and the snow is so dry, it didn't stick to him.  I guess winter is here, but Fred is prepared.

By the way, I've decided we should get rid of that tallest tree in the picture above.  I estimate it is about 20' tall, and it's really a pretty tree.  If you know anyone who can use it, have them get in touch with me.  It would be perfect for an outside Christmas tree or for any room with a high ceiling.  I pruned it for the first few years, so it's very full and has a pretty uniform shape.  It's getting too large for the space, and lovely as it is, it has to go, either now or in the spring.

Before I go back to the kitchen and preparations for our Thanksgiving meal tonight, I want to share with you this essay by Joe's Ponder, Andy Rudin. 
 


Pleasant Debt


by Andrew Rudin
Thanksgiving, 1999

Honorable mention in a National Public Radio Essay Contest

Nearing November, as the air becomes cool, my heart warms with the anticipation of Thanksgiving.  I feel no pressure of giving or receiving gifts, no pressure from advertisers, no Santa or Minora, no music dedicated to the occasion.  Just the occasion itself creates my anticipation.
Eventually, I will sit around a table with family and friends to enjoy one of the most special meals of the year, one that takes the longest time and care to prepare.  As that time nears, the colors of fall, the crispness of the air begin to coach me about humility. I feel the power of seasons and the frailty of people.

My earliest memory of Thanksgiving was at my grandmother’s home in Rutland, Vermont.  Her kitchen was the center of the universe, the source of the smells of fresh Swedish bread, of stuffing and turkey.  There was a glow from the kitchen, not only from the light, the warmth of the wood stove, but also from the laughter.  Grandma’s huge grey cat would make the rounds from lap to lap and hand to hand, making sure that everyone felt the warmth.

In my heart, giving thanks transcends everything.  I know that some of us may not profess a belief in god, but each of us is nonetheless overwhelmed by the moonlight and shadows, the glory of a waterfall, the brilliance of a flower or the love shared with friends.  These gifts come without cost or inconvenience.  They are merely here for all of us to enjoy.  How can I thank for a flower?

We get ready now.  We all have made some kind of harvest in the lush summer, but we sense the change of seasons.  We gather together.  Some may try to say thanks, some may not.  However it happens, for this special time, deep inside we acknowledge a blessing, a gift that can only be received, an acceptance of a mysterious debt that needs no payment other than enjoyment.

Whatever it is, wherever it comes from, and with whatever value each of us grants it, I give so much thanks for Thanksgiving.

###


I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving Day.  










No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...