Thursday, July 25, 2013

Did you notice the hint of fall in the air this morning?  Felt like fall, smelled like fall, and all that was missing was a tinge of yellow or red on the maples.  That will be here sooner than we think.  It was chilly last night - I saw a low of 40.5 on my "warm" thermometer.  I had .01 in. of moisture in my rain gauge, but I suspect it was due to dew.  I checked the gauge this morning right after I got back from a walk, so I had shoes on, which I appreciated because I bet that grass was really cold.

It's official, we're not going to conduct a wild goose chase roundup this summer.  We're going to try to harass the poor creatures so they'll never want to return to this place - and hope that keeps the population down next year.  I heard them calling early this morning - I guess the cold night got them  thinking perhaps it's time to move south, but they have no feathers to fly with, so they're stuck for a few more weeks, at least, and that's worth setting up a squawk about.  This freaky weather has them all "fowled" up.  I couldn't resist that, sorry.

We noticed when we went to Danville yesterday things along the Route 2 Project have settled nicely.  The Green is looking better every time we go by, and there were only a few people and machines left on the scene, and traffic was moving smoothly.  We noticed there's a "Goodbye Pike" sign on the Green.  Small wonder!

When we got back to West Danville, the wind was blowing a gale down the pond - a perfect day for sailing, but very chilly. Today is going to be a lovely one, and the weather is looking good for most of the week.  Don't forget that tonight is the dinner at the Cabot Church on Main Street.  Grilled chicken with salads, drinks and dessert, from 5:30 - 7 pm. Take-outs are available. Adults - $8; Children - $4. 

On Saturday night, there's an Italian Dinner at the Joe's Pond Association pavilion - tickets are $15.  It's a great meal, and everyone always has lots of fun.  BYOB.   Call Pam Hebert for reservations, 802-684-3655.

Sunday evening, come to the Cabot Historical Society where author and historian, David Book, will do a monologue as Abel Morrill, Sr., father of two sons who were killed in the Civil War.  David has researched thoroughly not only the war and the Cabot men who served, but also the impact of the war on people at home.  This is a Vermont Humanities Council event, and the program is free.  It will begin at 7 p.m. at the Historical Society building on Main Street, next to the church.  More details are in the poster further down this page in a blog entry a few days ago.

Did you happen to go to the home page this morning?  I like to check to see what news items Fred has dug up.  Last night I went there and was surprised to be greeted by a not very flattering picture of Woody. Fred got a much better picture of him this morning when  Woody went to check the rain gauge with me and lingered to enjoy the sunshine.



No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...