Wednesday, July 24, 2013

We're getting more reports of geese sightings, and a few comments:
 Jim B. says,
Keep a close eye on the water tests now that we have some geese.
Looks like a good baseline has been established so far this year, so if the
geese do have an impact, we should be able to see it right away.

Regards, Jim B.
Richard G. says,
There was a few dozen on my lawn Tuesday morning, mostly goslings. I certainly harassed them but would suspect they will be back as they are molting - can't watch my lot 24/7.  We will have to see how harassment works but they have to go somewhere. 

We'll keep you posted on this developing situation.  Unfortunately, we've had reports of some faulty septic systems on the pond recently, too, so once again we have the question of whether it is the wildlife or the humans who are causing problems, if the bacteria count goes up again.  So far the count has been well within limits - low, even.  We might expect with all the extreme hot weather and then recent downpours, the count could go up again, but we'll just have to wait and see.  I believe the septic systems are being remedied; now we'll need to make a decision about the geese.  The Goose Committee is considering options.

In the meantime, the loon chicks are growing fast.  Ted Decker sent this nice picture of a couple of chicks.  He didn't say if they were in the big pond or the middle pond.  Here's what he wrote:

It looks like the loon chicks are just beginning to loose their fuzzy brown camouflage.  Ted
 

Damp and cool today, but the forecast is for some sunshine later on.  If my figures are correct, we've had 7.77 in. of rain this summer, including 1.16 in. from Sunday through Monday morning, and another .28 in. that I measured this morning.  We had measurable rain every day from July 1 to July 12, then a five day dry spell until the rains came again on the 18th.  Since then I've found measurable precipitation in the tube every morning.   I don't keep track of the temperature highs and lows, but perhaps I should begin doing that.  I always check the temperature when I make my report at 9 a.m. each morning, but I don't always check to see what the high/low readings are.  I more often pay attention to the lows in the winter, and maybe the highs in the summer.  I'm beginning to notice the wet grass is getting gradually cooler on my bare feet each morning when I run out to check the rain gauge, though.  It won't be long before I'll be running through frosted grass in the shade of the house to get to where the sun hits and the frost has melted.  I sometimes linger a little while in the sunny spot to warm my feet before I make the dash back inside through the frost.  After a few mornings of that performance, I begin keeping an old pair of flip-flops by the door for my morning trip to read the rain gauge.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...